Holding payment not in activity

Lozzi31
New Community Member
My friend tried to send me £3500 but sent £4000 instead. She says I have to send back the £500 for my funds to be released but I have nothing pending and nothing on my activity. She told paypal she sent the wrong amount but sounds weird that I have to return £500 that I dont have and it not showing anywhere. Is this right? Please help!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Lozzi31,

Thank you for your post!

If a payment is truly sent to you, it will appear in your activity even if it is on hold. Your instinct to question this payment is serving you well.

You mentioned that this payment is coming from a friend. Is this a friend you know very well? If so, are you certain that the friend is actually in control of their account on the platform where you're communicating? If it is not someone you know well or if your friend's communication account has been compromised, it is probable that the person you're talking to is a fraudster and they're trying what's known as the Overpayment Scam

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.