Help! Why wont paypal accept ZAR (Rands) payments

Michelle_za
New Community Member

I have just created a website on WIX and Paypal is the only payment provider listed for South Africa. They have recently partnered with FNB to link and withdraw from your Paypal account which is great, however Paypal has no option to receive payments from the website in ZAR which means the payments fail and my customers have no way to pay for goods. I spoke to WIX who have told me that Paypal does accept ZAR which s why they are listed as a payment option. Does anyone know how to accept ZAR as a currency?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

SarahJE
New Community Member

I am having the same exact problem. Has anyone been able to help you?

xx

Login to Me Too

chimu
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same problem. My Store is on Shopify and PayPal is the default payment method. Since my target market is South Africa, it makes sense to set the Store currency to Rand - ZAR. I have had a PayPal account for years now, so I thought this would be a piece of cake setting up the PayPal account by simply linking it to the email address that is linked to my PayPal account. Then I did some tests and I was getting an error stating that "receiving country doesn't accept currency". This is when you try to checkout with PayPal. I then logged a query on this community and the guy who responded wasn't that friendly nor did he/she sound like they were interested in assisting. He/she simply said that I must change my Store currency to USD! Imagine quoting South African customers in USD! He/she basically simply sent a link of supported Currencies and ZAR is not one of them. Pretty shocking because they (PayPal guys) claim that it's the best payment method out there. I disagree. All follow up emails to PayPal have dropped on deaf ears. I have since deactivated PayPal from my Shopify store and now I'm using Payfast. Try 2Checkout also, they support a lot of international credit cards. As for PayPal, I will delete my account with them for good.
Login to Me Too

tazzthespazz
New Community Member

Regarding  wix, they have a payment integration called peach payments.
im struggling with another zar issue though

Login to Me Too

Z03b3an
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. A few weeks ago I did something and would have been paid in Rands. When I didn't get paid I went and had a look at the accepted currencies. ZAR is not one of them. How can you have something like Paypal in South Africa and not accept our currency? This needs to be fixed soon.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Z03b3an 

The ZAR is not a paypal supported currency unfortunately and never has been, paypal does not support every countries currencies.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.