Full refund not received after booking cancellation

AdamZalewski
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks.

I booked a place to stay online on Booking.com.

The cost was 158.92 euros, but I had to pay £150.37 with Paypal's exchange rate.

The booking allowed a free cancellation and I needed to used it. I have received only £143.35 though and not the full amount of £150.37, so it looks as though Paypal has kept the exchange rate amount I had to pay. This doesn't seem fair as it isn't really a full refund.

Is it possible for me to receive the rest of my money and who should I contact about it?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AdamZalewski 

If you buy currency from the post office to go on holiday and then take some back because you have not spent it all then you always get a lesser rate as they have to make a profit on changing the currency for you, same as paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AdamZalewski
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

So Paypal won't give me back the amount it took to exchange the money? I do feel a cheated as I made the booking with free cancellation available, so I assumed any money I pay, including the exchange fee, is returned if I cancel.

Also, Paypal took even more money than they made for the initial exchange, because since the transaction the pound has got stronger and/or Euro weaker, so they've made extra money on it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.