Friend sent a payment to me but used wrong email address. Can it be fixed?

b2d2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - a friend sent me $30 last week via paypal but didn't use my correct email address.  They didn't receive anything back saying the email address it was sent to was invalid, so we're presuming it's valid and someone's keeping the money.  The sender filed a claim thru PayPal but said it was declined.  They also sent an email to the invalid email address with no response.  I also sent an email to that address asking for the money back - no answer.  Are we out the money or is there a way to resolve this so either they get their money back or I get what's owed?  Thanks!

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@b2d2

How did you send the funds ie which paypal option?

How did you fund that paypal paymet ie which funding source?

What does it say next to the transaction in the senders paypal account ie completed or unclaimed/pending?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

b2d2
Contributor
Contributor
I believe the funds were sent within PayPal just by using my email address. I will confirm with the sender what it says in their PayPal account. Thank you.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@b2d2

As you haven't said how the payment was 'sent' or 'funded' then not a lot i can do to advise.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

b2d2
Contributor
Contributor
They were sent via email, from one email address to another, using PayPal accounts.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@b2d2

SENT...........

1. Goods / services.

2. Family / friends.

3. Money request.

4. Invoice.

FUND.

1. Paypal balance.

2. Debit card.

3. Credit card.

4. Bank transfer.

5. Voucher.

6. Echeque.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

b2d2
Contributor
Contributor

This was done friend to friend.  I was the intended recipient, so have no idea where the funds were coming from.  I have told you all I know and have asked them to check their PayPal account to see if the transaction was posted and their funding account debited.

Login to Me Too

b2d2
Contributor
Contributor

Update:  Their account was debited for the payment and PayPal shows it as complete.  Any suggestions?  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Cristina

Hi b2d2,

I am sorry about your issue. If your friend sent the money to a wrong email address, the status of the payment should be 'Unclaimed'. In this case, it is possible to cancel a payment.

Here's how to cancel a payment:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click the My Account tab.
  3. Click the History subtab.
  4. Click Cancel in the Order status/Actions column of the transaction in question.
  5. Click Cancel Payment.

Please, invite your friend to contact us directly by clicking 'Help & Contact' at the bottom of the PayPal homepage.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_Cristina

Unfortunately it was completed.

@b2d2

If it was sent using the friends / family payment and has completed then your friend needs to reach out to that incorrect email address (as it was correct to someone else) and ask them to send it back again, if they refuse then as it was a send money > family /friends payment then they can't open a paypal dispute. The ONLY option they have is if they funded that paypal payment via a credit card (which is why I asked you) and then they can ask their card issuer to do a chargeback. However as it was a 'gift' payment the card issuer may not help, fingers crossed they will.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.