Fraudulent refund request

rjfxvii
Contributor
Contributor

Someone has just sent me a refund request that does not correspond with any transaction that I've made for like $32K. What can I do about this?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rjfxvii 

I have to be tagged so I know someone answered because there's so many posts...let's see...

Ok, if its an invoice/money request, just cancel it. The sender will be notified that the invoice/money request is canceled.  No one can go in via PayPal invoice or money request to take out money from your account. I have not heard it happening. Nor can the invoice/money request can be reported and disputed for you to pay. You made no payment on the invoice/money request. 

It will be on your Activity feed until more transactions you make in the future push it out of sight.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rjfxvii 

This "refund request"...is its in the form of a PayPal dispute? A PayPal Invoice? A PayPal money request? Or just an spoof/phish/fraudulent email asking for a refund?

PayPal invoices and money requests you can just mark as canceled. If spoof email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com

And to file a dispute, there needs to be an actual transaction and according to you there were none.

Login to Me Too

rjfxvii
Contributor
Contributor

No email. It just showed up in my Activity feed. I've Canceled the request, but it still shows there. I am afraid that somehow, it's going to lead to money getting yanked from my bank account. what can I do?

Login to Me Too

rjfxvii
Contributor
Contributor

rjfxvii
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

So, I replied, but you didn't answer back. 

All I need to do is just cancel the fraudulent request? What happens to it? Does it just sit in my Activity Feed forever?

RF

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rjfxvii 

I have to be tagged so I know someone answered because there's so many posts...let's see...

Ok, if its an invoice/money request, just cancel it. The sender will be notified that the invoice/money request is canceled.  No one can go in via PayPal invoice or money request to take out money from your account. I have not heard it happening. Nor can the invoice/money request can be reported and disputed for you to pay. You made no payment on the invoice/money request. 

It will be on your Activity feed until more transactions you make in the future push it out of sight.

Login to Me Too

rjfxvii
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

OK, I just want to be sure I've done what I was supposed to do, and that no one will be able to get money from me for a fraudulent request.

Thank you!

Rene

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rjfxvii 

All good. You're welcome. 🙂

Login to Me Too

T1breezy
New Community Member

However for me the money has been completely sent and I issued a dispute but it was cancelled and didn't get a complete refund. What should I do?

@sharpiemarker @rjfxvii 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.