Fraud

Brendanmck94
Contributor
Contributor

I have been researching accommodation for moving to NYC for the last number of weeks. When I signed and returned the contract they wanted a bank transfer, to prevent the charges I asked them could I pay via pay pal. I sent the large sum of money to the PayPal account provided by the agent. Since sending the payment I have received no reply from the agent. I have sent a refund request to the account owner and emailed the account to ask for my money to be returned. Is there anyway I can have this refunded to my account? This money was almost all of my savings from both me and my girlfriends account to get us to NYC. Please let me know if this can be helped. Thanks Brendan <removed>

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brendanmck94 

Did you send the money as goods and services? If so, the payment status should start with "Payment Sent". If the payment status says "Money Sent" then there is no refund or buyer protection because you sent money as a personal payment or friends and family payment which is considered a "gift payment".

You can locate the transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it and then click "Report a problem". Whatever you do, do not file dispute as unauthorized payment because you did send payment and PayPal will deny the claim because it won't meet the requirements of being an unauthorized payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Brendanmck94
Contributor
Contributor
I have already filed a dispute!!! How do I overturn this? It has a status of ‘money sent’. Can I still report a problem?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.