Fraud message created an issue

GDH341
New Community Member
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me. I brought an item on eBay which cost £149.99 but it had a 10% off code so I paid £134.99. I then received a text from PayPal asking “ Did you pay -£149.99 GBP to (merchant) on 8 September 2019? Please reply 1 if yes or 2 if no. [Reply needed]” I said no (2) because the total cost was £134.99. This caused it to open a fraud case. I have not been a victim of fraud, it seems the text just didn’t include the correct amount. I have access to my account but PayPal refunded me the full £149.99 even though I paid £134.99, i have gotten in contact with PayPal as I want to make sure that the merchant received their money. I also have the product delivered now but the seller has no money. I did mean to make this payment but the text paypal sent me told me a different amount hence why I ordered said no. Any idea on what I should do, I emailed PayPal a few days ago but haven’t received a reply.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GDH341 

Not surprised PayPal didn't take the coupon into account, they'll just ask about the original total. Nor does eBay, I've noticed it'll say that the original total but you'll see the coupon deducted in your PayPal receipt/transaction details.

You'll have to call customer service to explain the situation and how they can reverse the transaction or how to proceed and pay the seller again, maybe give you a 10% coupon code to pay the seller again via PayPal.

To contact customer service:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or private messaging via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK

Twitter: @paypalUK 

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.