Fraud/Fake Paypal account

TWL2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

I need help.

Just discovered that a series of fraudulent PayPal transactions from my credit which has happened for more than a year.

The money is credited to an unknown account from my credit card which is not even linked to my active PayPal account.

So I believe somebody has created a fake PayPal account and linked my credit card to it.

I tried to lodge a report with PayPal but it does not work as the system insist on linking the complaint to a historical transaction of my PayPal account.

Clearly I am not able to do it as the payments are not made through my PayPal account.

I sought help from the credit card company and they insist that I need to ask PayPal to get info on the transactions.

I am given the typical run-around while I am sure many other users continue to be scammed by the fraudster.

What can I do?

Thanks for your advice! 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TWL2020 

This is a first time I read a card issuer ask this of a customer. The card issuer is supposed to do that and in fact, they should already have the information! Your card's account activity, IS the information. You tell the card issuer, the transactions are not made through your PayPal account that you or anybody own. Someone took your card information and used it to pay merchant(s) that accept PayPal as payment processor. The thief could have just used PayPal guest checkout and not associate the transactions with a PayPal account at all! What you see on the transactions in your card account is the merchant name and that it was processed by PayPal.

If you can try disputing at your card account online each of these transactions, if you have online access to your card account. I would consider canceling this card company as a customer because their dispute dept is terrible.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

TWL2020
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks very much sharpie for sharing your views and advice. Indeed I am still fighting the battle with the credit card company!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.