Fees from "Local Pickup"

Swim_Dad
Contributor
Contributor

A buyer in California bought a large item of mine which stated "local pickup only".  I'm in Missouri.  Buyer said to cancel the order (which I did).  Item sold for $475.  Paypal took out $14.08 ($.30 + $13.78) and I received $460.92.  When I refunded the payment I only received $461.22 back from PayPal.  I have called Paypal several times to try to get the $13.78 back for a total refund of $475.  I did nothing wrong on this transaction and yet I am being charged $13.78.  Maybe I should send an invoice to the buyer in California for $13.78.  Can anyone help with this issue?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Swim_Dad 

I guess PayPal has gone ahead with not refunding the PayPal fee after all as per their May 7th policy update. So essentially, it's flipped from before, they're refunding the flat rate portion (30 cents) but not the variable rate portion (2.9% or 4.4% cross-border rate) now. Ain't that a blip.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/archive-policies-full?locale.x=en_US

Next time you refund and it ain't your fault, deduct the variable rate fee. You're not going to get a refund from PayPal for the fee, gonna tell you that right now. You may invoice the buyer but they can't be forced to pay it.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Swim_Dad
Contributor
Contributor

Found this on the link above:

• We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you

So me as the seller DO NOT get the fees back even though I did nothing wrong with the above transaction.  The person in California bought the item which was listed as "Local Pickup Only" (I'm in St. Louis) and now I am being penalized for the California person's stupidity.  GREAT POLICY PAYPAL!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.