Faulty item received through eBay, cannot open case in Paypal resolution centre

dreamofthecelt
New Community Member

I purchased an item of clothing through eBay and it was totally stained and not as described. Seller agreed to a return/refund but for my buyer protection I attempted to open a case through eBay/Paypal. I paid via card through eBay and not paypal directly. When I contacted eBay about my problem they said I was covered under Buyer Protection, I quote:

"I have checked the details and can see that you have paid for the item using your card but let me explain when we make a payment on eBay a PayPal gateway is created just to keep your money secured and you are then covered for the transaction. I would further suggest you to contact PayPal so that they will be able to help you on the case further." Paypal are currently not accepting calls, it is messaging only.

I cannot open a case on Paypal as I do not have a transaction ID as the payment was made through eBay and not Paypal. I am at a total loss at to what to do next!

If I try to open a case through eBay > Paypal resolution centre, it states that the transaction cannot be found. I'm going round in circles with this one, eBay referred me to Paypal, where one Paypal customer agent responded to me requesting more information until they stopped responding to my messages.

Has this happened to anyone before? What can I do?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Turbotog
New Community Member
As a seller myself on eBay, opening a case through PayPal for an ebay purchase complicates the process. Ok I've to refund via PayPal then request to cancel the transaction on eBay to receive a final fee credit, but that doesn't often work once a case has been opened on PayPal, even if it is resolved. The correct procedure is to open a return via eBay. This will hold the money from the seller until the item is received as a return, then the seller authorised the return or in the worst case scenario, you ask eBay to step in and they will refund you via the same payment method (in this case it will track back to the card you made the purchase with). Otherwise the transaction number should be on your payment details from your payment confirmation eBay after you purchased the item. Hope this helps
Login to Me Too

dreamofthecelt
New Community Member

I'm a seller myself so the tables are turned in this case. When I attempt to open a return - on several devices on different dates - eBay gives me a technical error message 'your request could not be completed'. So its not possible to open a return on eBay. When I select 'resolve a problem', I am directed to Paypal where there is no record of the payment/transaction in my activity.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dreamofthecelt 

If you need to open a dispute for a 'guest buyer' transaction then you can.......

1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will open one for you (difficult at the moment due to covid)
OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.