False Purchase

MORE_LAG
Contributor
Contributor

I had my PayPal account hacked and someone bought a $60 video game through GameStop. I am unable to cancel the order since its still pending. I contacted GameStop and there's nothing they can do. What should I do?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MORE_LAG 

The payment has to complete before you can report it as unauthorized on the PayPal side because right now it's just pending/not yet captured or claimed by the merchant and PayPal can't cancel a pending authorization because that's generally an agreement to pay between you and the merchant.

Once it completes, locate the transaction in your account activity, click it and then click "Report a problem" and file Unauthorized Payment.

*If there is no corresponding transaction in PayPal account activity, then you must report it as unauthorized payment with the funding source used (bank card or credit card) because that's where the charge appears and PayPal in such case is just the payment processor for the merchant.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MORE_LAG 

The payment has to complete before you can report it as unauthorized on the PayPal side because right now it's just pending/not yet captured or claimed by the merchant and PayPal can't cancel a pending authorization because that's generally an agreement to pay between you and the merchant.

Once it completes, locate the transaction in your account activity, click it and then click "Report a problem" and file Unauthorized Payment.

*If there is no corresponding transaction in PayPal account activity, then you must report it as unauthorized payment with the funding source used (bank card or credit card) because that's where the charge appears and PayPal in such case is just the payment processor for the merchant.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Travis_cory
Contributor
Contributor

I do not understand why a charge cannot be contested before it has been finalized. I have 4 fraudulent charges equaling around 740 dollars from a company I have never heard of before, and I cannot open a dispute in the resolution center. Since I am not able to get a hold of customer service, I have taken it upon myself to cancel my business debit card so that no more charges may be done on it against my will. I am thinking I am on the wrong end of this here. I should be doing fraud against PayPal since it seems to be their policy to let the charge go through before any action can be taken. I am either resolving this issue tomorrow, or I am closing my account out tomorrow. One way or another it will be resolved tomorrow.

Login to Me Too

Travis_cory
Contributor
Contributor

740 dollars in two days to a coffee company and no red flags huh? You guys must be allot smarter than me cause that just does not make any sense to me

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.