Facebook Marketplace seller did not receive my money through PayPal

Nolan7
New Community Member

I purchased a guitar on Facebook Marketplace two days ago to have shipped to me, and when Facebook asked for a payment method, I chose PayPal. I got a confirmation email from PayPal saying I had paid the seller. The seller, however, says it doesn't show up on his end at all. He may not have had his PayPal account linked to his Facebook account, as I cannot find the seller's contact info in my confirmation email or in my PayPal purchase history, just his name. The transaction is still pending, so I can cancel it and try a different method of payment, but is there any PayPal Purchase Protection if I directly send him the money through PayPal (instead of going through the Facebook checkout process)? So I guess my main questions are: How can I figure out where the money went that I paid, and if the seller really didn't get it, how can he receive my money without me canceling the payment? And if I have to cancel my purchase, what's the most secure way to pay the seller without going through the Facebook checkout? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nolan7 

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending (with a clearance date)
2. Pending/Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Pending/Unclaimed withOUT a cancel option.
4. Payment or Sent.
5. Pending/Uncleared with a clearance date.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.