Eventbrite order 'abandoned' after payment processed via PayPal on cancelled event

jena10bc
Contributor
Contributor

An event was cancelled in Eventbrite before a ticket was refunded. Now the order is showing as abandoned but the payment was processed. No payment was received by PayPal. Can anyone tell me where the ticket money is? Was it returned to the original form of payment? OR is it in limbo somewhere? Help!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jena10bc 

What does your PayPal account say? 

It seems like you placed an order but was abandoned before payment was completed, now this might create a pending authorization transaction in your PayPal account which expires within 30 days and completely disappears from your PayPal account activity and your funding source account if Event Brite did not capture the funds. It looks like they didn't on that one.

For the second order, it was completed so then you'll have to look for the completed transaction in your PayPal account to open a dispute.

So in all, you should only see one completed transaction for Event Brite on the transaction date in PayPal and in your funding source account for which you'll have to dispute if event was canceled.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jena10bc 

Is the payment's status in your PayPal account activity marked "Completed" or still tagged as "Pending" in green and noted that it's a temporary authorization within the transaction details? 

If the latter, it means that it is a pending authorization which would expire on it's own within 30 days and funds released. You can also go to the original funding source to see if it is also pending with the funds held.

If the payment is completed, then you may file a PayPal item not received dispute to get a refund. Of if the payment is only showing in your funding source account as a completed charge (as opposed to a temporary authorization), not listed in PayPal account at all, then file a dispute at your financial institution.

Login to Me Too

jena10bc
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Thank you for your reply. I think I may have to file a dispute.

There are two different orders for the same ticket. The Orders report shows:

Order #******501 - $99.53

Completed (Delivery method: eTicket)

Purchased by Attendee (attendee email) on 15 Jul 2019 at 10:47 AM (PDT)
PayPal Order #************0754C (PayPal Completed to organizer)

Order #******307 - $99.53

Abandoned (Delivery method: eTicket)                       

PayPal Order abandoned by (attendee emailon 15 Jul 2019 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

Hence my confusion.
Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jena10bc 

What does your PayPal account say? 

It seems like you placed an order but was abandoned before payment was completed, now this might create a pending authorization transaction in your PayPal account which expires within 30 days and completely disappears from your PayPal account activity and your funding source account if Event Brite did not capture the funds. It looks like they didn't on that one.

For the second order, it was completed so then you'll have to look for the completed transaction in your PayPal account to open a dispute.

So in all, you should only see one completed transaction for Event Brite on the transaction date in PayPal and in your funding source account for which you'll have to dispute if event was canceled.

Login to Me Too

jena10bc
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Thank you again!

I'll double check the PayPal account for this.

Much appreciated.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.