Euro exchange rate and fee applied to personal transfers

rshammaa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I want to send euros to someone in France, but need to know what exchange rate + what fees Paypal applies. 

I wasn’t able to find this information on line.

Thank you,

Raphael
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

K-DL
Contributor
Contributor
I'd like to know how to figure out exchange rate in advance of purchasing something online please.
Login to Me Too

rshammaa
Contributor
Contributor

Simply go to https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ - or just Google "currency converter". Rates change every day and additional fees charged are different depending who converts and/or transfers your money to another country, like banks or Paypal - or simply hands you the converted cash accross a teller's window. Other that HiFX which doesn't charge a fee - if you are sending the money to a friend abroad who can release it back to you when you get there, most charge a stiff fee and convert money at disadvantageous rates. There's also a cost to sending the converted sum to its foreign destination - if that's what you choose to do, except if you send via ACH which is free, (and there's a time factor to consider until the cash is made available, usually 5-6 days for ACH; wiring is faster but there's a fee). Discuss it with whoever you choose to do business with. To this day I still don't know  how to find Paypal's conversion rates; I did ask though 🙂

Login to Me Too

K-DL
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the reply! Doesn't help with internet purchases... I keep getting charged quite different amounts for purchases via PayPal.
Login to Me Too

rshammaa
Contributor
Contributor

Exchange rates change every day, like share values on the stock market. But fees for a given currency provider remain the same.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.