🛎Ebayer requested to preferably PayPal me directly instead of paying through EBay 🛎

DonnaC2184
New Community Member

I am grateful I have been selling on and off on eBay for over 10 years & I have been dubbed in the past so I am keen to these scam artists but sometimes it seems so genuine and convincing not especially this one lol This woman asked me to TEXT HER & we’d discuss our sale. She did a best offer on an expensive cosmetic product she said she was a gift to her niece and would provide her address.. ok. I offered to send an invoice because I’ve been down this road before selling my iPad and electronics I get these scallywags from all over the world usually outside USA. 

I gave her the benefit of the doubt maybe she felt more comfortable doing a privately on PayPal, but I offered an invoice that listed the products she picked.

ANDDDD THEN..... This was her checkmate she asked me to go BUY HER NEICE A $300 GIFT CARD and offered to send extra funds for doing this  and send it with the products she was purchasing LOLOLOL It’s funny but it’s NOT FUNNY bc if I didn’t know any better when she sent me that fake PayPal email showing the amount she paid some people would take it as official & not know & ship out over $400 of free sh*t to this dirtbag. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DonnaC2184 

Anytime someone asks to pay outside of eBay checkout system is sketchy, that's why eBay don't allow it. Its really to protection each party. Sellers can ask buyers to pay with PayPal as friends and family stating not wanting to pay fees and then they disappear and you get characters like this as a buyer.

If the account is clonked out for whatever excuse, not my problem. Pay via eBay, please or keep it movin'. lol

But these scammers give you a "tell", a "hint", though, sketchy as what they're doing are. For instance, why am I having to buy the gift card? lol You can get that anywhere. Makes no sense. A gift card can be bought online too and be sent to they niece. I'm not selling a gift card but the item I am selling. This ain't no gift card buying service! lmao

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DonnaC2184
New Community Member

It threw me off bc it’s usually electronics they prey on like iPhones or more pricey demand items thats why I entertained her until she asked me to go to my local Walmart & mail a $300 gift card along with the $150 “gift” she was sending her niece.  She’s gotta Brush up on her scamming game bc that was really insulting it was so pitiful her boss is probably demoting her right now to low hustle scams & she’s gotta make her way up the ranks again.

it was almost as bad as those Indians calling people pretending to be the IRS shaking people down for freaking iTunes gift cards to pay off their defaulted taxes to keep them out of jail... it sounds ridiculous to even believe how anyone could fall for this kind of crap, but they usually target older people scare them into thinking they’re about to be locked up they instill fear in people bc it is official & they tell you “don’t hang up the phone while driving to Walgreens for the iTunes gift cards do not speak to anyone in the store........ these scumbags I don’t know how they sleep at night peacefully by robbing innocent people.

Login to Me Too

DonnaC2184
New Community Member

And these scumbags go for the new sellers on eBay that have a low feedback so they think they don’t know how this works & this is normal they don’t know the game or the ropes of internet selling yet. These people should be blacklisted from the internet.... my favorite video is a guy on YouTube that sets up scammers that pretend to be computer techs & when they let their guard down for a min this dude deletes EVERYTHING from his computer all the stolen credit cards they stole, identities they hacked into on other peoples computers & he changes the sys key so they are locked out... so dam satisfying watching trolls get trolled. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.