Ebay purchase refund less than paid for

juventas
New Community Member

I have bought an item on Ebay on 19.02.2020 for $385.13 (308.51GBP). An Ebay seller lied about posting an item then refunded me $385.13. My PayPal refund was converted to 296.04GBP. "Mysteriously"  12.47GBP has disappeared. Is this how PayPal operates? I never received an item I have purchased. The seller cancelled the purchase and I have lost £12.47. 

See the attached picture of both purchase and refund. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @juventas,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

The difference in the amount you received as a refund would be due to the fluctuations in rates between the date you made the payment and the date you received a refund. PayPal rates changed twice per day in accordance with market fluctuations.

Exchange rates apply when you convert money from one currency into another currency. The exchange rate would apply to the following types of transactions:

• You send a payment in a currency that isn’t your default payment method’s currency.
  • You withdraw money in a different currency.
  • You transfer money from a balance in one currency to a balance in another currency.
  • You accept a payment in another currency and have it automatically converted to your preferred currency.

Here’s how to view our exchange rate for converting money to your currency:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Wallet at the top of the page.
  3. Click Convert Currency.
  4. Enter the amount you want to convert.
  5. Select the currency to convert the funds to.

The webpage will automatically update to display our exchange rate and the value of your currency conversion.

We always provide currency exchange rate information on transactions that include a currency conversion.

To view our up to date exchange rates, please log in to your PayPal account and go to https://www.paypal.com/businesswallet/currencyConverter/USD.

For more information on the exchange rate with international payments, click Legal at the bottom of any PayPal page, then click PayPal User Agreement and go to Exhibit A - Fees

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

426jake
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, this just happened to me also, $82.10 then the seller couldn't supply the item and refunded me $78.20. This has never happened before and is obviously a new way for paypal to make money.

I bet no customers ever get more money back!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.