Ebay payment transactions..extra costs when using currency conversion..

thundereux
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Can somebody help out with a query.. I noticed when I payed for an item on Ebay that there was an price difference on my bank statement in comparison to the ebay final transaction. I have been a member of ebay for almost 20 years and I thought the price you payed more or less was the fixed final price. Ive noticed as an example I bought something for 145 eur and was charged an extra 6.50 eur after converting to danish kroner when finally looking at my bank statement,, Is this normal procedure..

Yours

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thundereux 

Ask your bank if they charge a foreign transaction fee if you choose them to do the conversion.

https://www.paypal.com/dk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_DK#currency-conversion

Currency conversion choices

When your payment is funded by a debit or credit card and PayPal determines currency conversion is necessary, you consent to and authorise us to convert the currency in place of your debit or credit card issuer.

You may have the right to have your card issuer convert the currency of the card payment into the currency in which you send the payment from your PayPal account, if applicable for that card issuer and network. This selection may be presented to you in various forms, including a choice of which currency is used for the transaction, whether we or your card issuer performs the conversion, or which conversion rate is used for the transaction, among others. If your card issuer converts the currency, your card issuer will determine the currency conversion rate and what fees they may charge.

PayPal will always perform the conversion for transactions where you use existing balance or your linked bank account is the funding source.

If PayPal determines currency conversion is necessary for a transaction that also requires a backup funding source to be chosen, you may not be able to separately choose whether PayPal or your card issuer performs the currency conversion on the payment from your backup funding source.

Where a currency conversion is offered at the point of sale by the merchant, not by PayPal, and you choose to authorise the payment transaction on the basis of the merchant's exchange rate and charges, PayPal has no liability to you for that currency conversion.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thundereux 

Ask your bank if they charge a foreign transaction fee if you choose them to do the conversion.

https://www.paypal.com/dk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_DK#currency-conversion

Currency conversion choices

When your payment is funded by a debit or credit card and PayPal determines currency conversion is necessary, you consent to and authorise us to convert the currency in place of your debit or credit card issuer.

You may have the right to have your card issuer convert the currency of the card payment into the currency in which you send the payment from your PayPal account, if applicable for that card issuer and network. This selection may be presented to you in various forms, including a choice of which currency is used for the transaction, whether we or your card issuer performs the conversion, or which conversion rate is used for the transaction, among others. If your card issuer converts the currency, your card issuer will determine the currency conversion rate and what fees they may charge.

PayPal will always perform the conversion for transactions where you use existing balance or your linked bank account is the funding source.

If PayPal determines currency conversion is necessary for a transaction that also requires a backup funding source to be chosen, you may not be able to separately choose whether PayPal or your card issuer performs the currency conversion on the payment from your backup funding source.

Where a currency conversion is offered at the point of sale by the merchant, not by PayPal, and you choose to authorise the payment transaction on the basis of the merchant's exchange rate and charges, PayPal has no liability to you for that currency conversion.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.