Duped by PayPal sending money to friend

radkan18
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing no other option I chose to send money through Paypal and was totally shocked when my payment made through credit card is treated as a cash advance and my bank charged me a whopping $10 cash advance fee, this is to just send $25 to friend, on top of which $1 was already charged by PayPal. Please avoid Paypal for sending money.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@radkan18 

Friends/family payments are FREE as long as you fund them from your bank account or funds already in your balance.

If you use a card you pay the cards fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

radkan18
Contributor
Contributor

But this was not a Card fee, it was treated as cash advance! What if you were not maintaining a balance and then had to send money immediately? I would never use PayPal again to send money.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_April

Hello @radkan18

Cash advance fees are charged by the card company, not PayPal. If you weren't paying for goods/services you would be completing a cash transaction. I would suggest speaking with your card company regarding any fees they have charged. 

-April 

Login to Me Too

radkan18
Contributor
Contributor

My question is why paying with cc is treated as a cash advance and not purchase? We are not taking out actual cash and why don't you put in bold fees which are normally $10 will be charged, then at least we will think of other options. This is the first time I used cash advance and had no intimation such a huge fee will be charged by my card. Had I known, I won't have used this service. And I did my research and most credit cards charge $10 minimum so at least you should put a clear comment there saying that. We would rather use other services to send money in cases like this.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_April

@radkan18

PayPal wouldn't post your card company fees as this isn't something that PayPal would know. Sending payment as a gift or as friends/family isn't a commercial (goods/services) payment as such it is treated as a cash advance. You may want to speak with your credit card company regarding the difference. 

-April 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.