Donation from Twitch. Are they really able to charge back?

fr1ghtn1gh
New Community Member

I have a twitch account and donations are clearly marked. The users can donate their own money if they want to (they are not obligated) as its a donation. It takes them to a link where they donate through paypal. It gets announced on my stream and shows their donation.

It says on paypal they can still reverse the payment.

Are they really allowed to charge back the money? If so is there a way to prevent this as it is a donation and they knowingly follow through with the donation.

Any help is appreciated thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@fr1ghtn1gh wrote:

I have a twitch account and donations are clearly marked. The users can donate their own money if they want to (they are not obligated) as its a donation. It takes them to a link where they donate through paypal. It gets announced on my stream and shows their donation.

It says on paypal they can still reverse the payment.

Are they really allowed to charge back the money? If so is there a way to prevent this as it is a donation and they knowingly follow through with the donation.

Any help is appreciated thank you!

Hi @fr1ghtn1gh,

As the Twitch donation would be considered a Goods & Services transaction, it can be disputed. If there was no product or service associated with their donation and this can be proven, PayPal could decide the case in the seller's favor.

From what I have noticed in the past however, some Twitch streamers have offered incentives for people who donate. This could be an appearance on the channel's stream for example.

If a streamer has promised an incentive, this would alter the terms of the transaction. Twitch view it as a donation on their website, however PayPal do not automatically assume it to be such, hence it is still disputable.

If the buyer presented evidence to PayPal, that an incentive was not honored after their purchase, this could be considered failure to deliver the service advertised and therefore reimburse the buyer.

If there was no incentive offered for a donation and the buyer cannot provide evidence of such, there would be no case for them to dispute. However, I cannot comment on whether it would be decided in either party's favor, as each case is assessed and decided on merit.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.