Do I still need a credit card to send payments when I have funds in my account?

MoonstoneGhost
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I'm new to PayPal so please forgive me if this is a FAQ.

I'm adding funds to my PayPal account via my bank as I don't have a credit card yet, and would like to use those funds to buy something online. I was double checking the total at the online store and noticed that the transaction page for PayPal was still asking for a credit card. I realize the fund transfer won't be processed for a few days, but it left me wondering if I'd still need a credit card despite having funds in the account (when it is transferred, of course).

Thank you for any help and advice! ❤️

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MoonstoneGhost 

You can use funds in your paypal balance 'as long as' they are in the correct currency and not pending.

BUT for some transactions ie digital / virtual or higher risk AND at 'some point' anyway Paypal will ask you to add a card to act as a back up funding source and to verify your Paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MoonstoneGhost 

You can use funds in your paypal balance 'as long as' they are in the correct currency and not pending.

BUT for some transactions ie digital / virtual or higher risk AND at 'some point' anyway Paypal will ask you to add a card to act as a back up funding source and to verify your Paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MoonstoneGhost 

If paying with PayPal balance or bank account, it may ask for a back up payment method (credit card) during checkout so read the screens carefully. As long as you have funds in your PayPal account to cover the purchase, it ultimately won't charge the back up payment method you selected or added when the payment is processed.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.