Do I need to scratch the codes on a gift card for verification?

nes_ni
New Community Member

I got an email from [removed]  to

"Please note that our verification center department are now waiting to received the cards code from you for verification before money can be available in your PayPal account, kindly scratch the card carefully and get back to us with a clearly picture of the code."

Once I do this I cannot return the gift cards even if the person backs out of buying my computer for $2125 and I will be stuck with $400 in ebay gift cards.

On top of that the buyer is incredibly pushy so I cannot trust it.

Is this actually how paypal works? Do I need to scratch the codes and send them by email?

The buyer even offered me to send the codes to him so he could enter them. Red flags all over the place.

Very concerning that the email is from PayPal "at" Services  from the above email which seems legitimate.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Adam1

Hi, thanks for reaching out to the Community. That email is not from PayPal. We do not require or request gift card purchases in order for you to receive a payment. Our emails will always come from a paypal.com domain, not a free service like gmail.com, and will be addressed to you by your first and last name, as they appear on your PayPal account. This is a common scam, unfortunately. Do not provide any information to the email sender, as they are attempting to defraud you. Here is a link to our Help Center article on spotting a fake email. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.