Direct Debit Mandate

Sculptress
Contributor
Contributor

I have had a notice from my Bank that they will be sending a payment of £20.07 by direct debit mandate to Paypal tomorrow.  I have been going round in circles trying to find out what this is for and wondered if anyone on here can help me.  I just want to know what this is for.  So far as I am aware I have no direct debits with any of my bank accounts or with Paypal so I would like to know what it's all about.  I also need to know if this is a one off or a recurring thing.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  My bank cannot tell me anything except the number of the direct debit mandate.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sculptress 

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees).
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal.

Sometimes it does not coincide with the date you made the payment as paypal CREDIT the seller in advance and then paypal wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account, they can 'leave' that account at anytime from a few hours up to a few days later. Also the 'amount' can sometimes not be recognised if you used it as a part-payment with the rest coming from funds already in your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sculptress 

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees).
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal.

Sometimes it does not coincide with the date you made the payment as paypal CREDIT the seller in advance and then paypal wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account, they can 'leave' that account at anytime from a few hours up to a few days later. Also the 'amount' can sometimes not be recognised if you used it as a part-payment with the rest coming from funds already in your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Sculptress
Contributor
Contributor

That was very helpful.  Thank you, very much appreciated.  I can stop going around in circles now! lol

Sculptress xx

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.