Digital Receiver and Paypal automatic payments

jc5950
New Community Member

Digital Receiver (I have no idea what this is or why they have my info - I tried contacting the company and they don't have an order # from me, I haven't ordered any software in the last year...)

Charged me through PayPal for $49.95.   

According to Paypal this was set as an "automatic payment".   

As I just found out, there are many past one-time transactions where the company is now listed in Paypal as "automatic".

I am pretty FURIOUS about this - WHY does Paypal automatically turn these on a automatic?  

Why can't I (or maybe there is and I don't know how to do it) set everything as ONE-TIME unless I specifically set it up in Paypal 

Why in the world are places like "walgreens, ebay, wayfair) on there as automatic?  That is just ridiculous.  It looks like about every transaction I have done, the vendor is set up as automatic payments.  So much for thinking that using Paypal was protecting me somehow.  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jc5950 

Many merchants set up billing agreements when you checkout to streamline and speed up your checkout on future purchases as well as add back up funding in case if paying with PayPal balance. If you read the fine print of checkout pages when it asks for back up payment method. you will know that they are setting up a billing agreement. After you complete payment, you'll have to remember to go into Manage Automatic Payments page to cancel the agreement and PayPal will send you an email confirming the cancelation.

Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel on the right.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.