Customer asking for my PayPal address to complete payment

FayeE
Contributor
Contributor
I have had a customer purchase an item I was selling. First of all they are insisting that I send the product abroad to Italy even though I put in the description collection only because I have no packaging for it, and then they are asking for my PayPal address so they can send the payment. As they would sort out the shipping on their end, they have also asked for my telephone and address. I assumed that they would not need to have my PayPal address as it would automatically go through to the payment page. As I have never had this before with me selling items as well as buying. I am very reluctant to give them the address as well as my telephone and home address. Am I just being cautious for no reason?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FayeE 

No, you have every right to be suspicious/cautious and your previous experience using PayPal is a benefit and actually helps you to avoid scams.

You're correct that the sender only needs your PayPal email address (at worst, mobile number associated with account) to receive funds and nothing else, as they will see your name and email address soon enough when they pay and receive the transaction details. This also helps prevent using your info to create spoof PayPal payment emails sent to trick you.

The first red flag is when the buyer tries to dictate and override your conditions. You have these conditions for a reason so stick to them. Just say "Sorry, this is for pick up only. Thank you for your interest, have a good day, Best regards..."

And never let them handle the shipping on their end. NEVER. If they want it shipped (that is if you even have the packaging), you do the shipping so you can be sure to receive valid shipping information to provide proof of delivery should doo-doo hits the fan and you can provide this information to them once you have shipped.

I am of the mind that I do not have to sell to you and you do not have to buy from me. 

Is this an eBay sale? If it is and they've already placed an order, cancel it as problem with buyer address and keep it movin'.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FayeE 

No, you have every right to be suspicious/cautious and your previous experience using PayPal is a benefit and actually helps you to avoid scams.

You're correct that the sender only needs your PayPal email address (at worst, mobile number associated with account) to receive funds and nothing else, as they will see your name and email address soon enough when they pay and receive the transaction details. This also helps prevent using your info to create spoof PayPal payment emails sent to trick you.

The first red flag is when the buyer tries to dictate and override your conditions. You have these conditions for a reason so stick to them. Just say "Sorry, this is for pick up only. Thank you for your interest, have a good day, Best regards..."

And never let them handle the shipping on their end. NEVER. If they want it shipped (that is if you even have the packaging), you do the shipping so you can be sure to receive valid shipping information to provide proof of delivery should doo-doo hits the fan and you can provide this information to them once you have shipped.

I am of the mind that I do not have to sell to you and you do not have to buy from me. 

Is this an eBay sale? If it is and they've already placed an order, cancel it as problem with buyer address and keep it movin'.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

FayeE
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the advice. It was on Ebay and I did put the item up as collection only as I do not have the packaging for it and it's fairly heavy and difficult to find packaging for it. I did tell the person that I do not have it and they were very insistent that I would find lots of boxes. The First thing I was worried about was they asked for the PayPal address, even though I have never had anyone ask before, and then telling me they would sort out the shipping, and that they needed my telephone and home address. This is the first item I have put up for collection only and never thought about these sorts of issues, now I am aware I can sort them out with confidence. Thank you for your advice!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.