Credit card.

Dawn50
Contributor
Contributor

I want to make a large purchase to a private seller using my credit card. Can I use a credit card or does it have to be a debit card. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dawn50 

Credit cards can be used. In fact, it is better than debit card, tbh. Not every debit card have dispute resolution like credit cards do should PayPal buyer protection falls through.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Dawn50
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. Do you know how quickly the payment will take to show in the account of the seller from the credit card. I’m looking at a caravan tomorrow (private seller) and if we like it we want to buy and tow it straight home. X
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dawn50 

Paypal payments are more or less instant but be careful as you have 0 buyer protection with paypal for motor vehicles.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The payment is instant unless there is a problem with your card,but it does not mean your seller has immediate access to the money.

It depends on his Paypal account ,the item and his standing with Paypal and size of the transaction and nature of the transaction could be reviewed .

If Paypal withholds the payment and expect him to upload a tracking number from a commercial carrier which he does not have,he would have to call Paypal .

Neither party will get any Paypal protection ,you should really bring cash or bank cashier check,another way to handle this is to meet at a bank parking lot and go inside the bank and complete the deal after examining the condition of the item.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.