Confusion over fess for receiving money

ABR908
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to figure out how much I am charged if someone sends me money using their credit card. It seems to be 2.9% plus thirty cents, but that doesn't match. Someone was supposed to send me $60, but I only received $57.96. I assume this is because they used a credit card. Someone else sent me money from her account, and no fees were deducted. Thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ABR908 

2.9% + 30 cents fee of $60 is $57.96 received, as you said. Or, are you asking why you are charged a fee and not the sender for sending the $60? What is the status of transaction? "Money Received" (friends and family = sender pays fee, unless PayPal still allows sender to elect who pays fee) / "Payment Received" (goods and services = recipient pays fee)

Its free if sending within same country using PayPal balance or bank account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#sending-friends-family

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ABR908 

2.9% + 30 cents fee of $60 is $57.96 received, as you said. Or, are you asking why you are charged a fee and not the sender for sending the $60? What is the status of transaction? "Money Received" (friends and family = sender pays fee, unless PayPal still allows sender to elect who pays fee) / "Payment Received" (goods and services = recipient pays fee)

Its free if sending within same country using PayPal balance or bank account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#sending-friends-family

Login to Me Too

ABR908
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for explaining! I get it now. I appreciate your taking the time to clear up my confusion. 🙂

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ABR908 

You're welcome! 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.