Change payment “type”

Nelle1127
New Community Member
I accidentally send money friends and family instead of goods and services. Is there a way to change that?! Also, PayPal deleted my bank account so now it only has my debit card?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nelle1127 

Sorry, once payment is made, it cannot be changed afterwards (payment type or payment method).

If the payment status is Completed, you need to ask the recipient to send you a refund. You’ll find the recipient’s contact information on the Transaction Details page.

From your PayPal app, here’s how to find the recipient's information:

1. Tap See Activity.
  2. Tap the payment in question, and scroll down.
  3. Tap Contact [recipient] to contact them and ask for a refund.
If after contacting the recipient, you don’t receive a refund, please reach out to us via email:
  1. Tap the Settings icon at the top right.
  2. Tap Inbox.
  3. Tap the blue pencil icon to send us a message (select Disputes and account limitations).
From your computer, here's how:
  1. Click Activity at the top of the page.
  2. Click the payment in question.
  3. Locate your recipient’s contact information, then contact them and ask for a refund.

If you don’t receive a refund, you can open a dispute with PayPal within the timeframe noted in the transaction details. Here’s how to file a dispute:

1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the transaction you want to dispute, and then click Continue.
  4. Read the information on the screen and click Begin.
  5. Follow the instructions to finish opening your dispute.

Note: Friends and family payments have no purchase protection. If you report as unauthorized transaction which is the only option, PayPal will close your case since no one broke into your PayPal account to make the payment. You might try disputing through your financial institution but no guarantees that you’ll get your money back.

Get your bank account reset by contacting customer service.

1. Go to: https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us
  2. Click Account profile and set up
  3. Click Bank account
  4. Click Link and confirm
  5. Click Message Us after the “This information might help” box

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.