Cancelling a payment

tim_butcher
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I need to cancel a payment, but PayPal refuses to do this. Will anyone please advise how to resolve this?

The details: It is an eBay transaction that was cancelled by the seller because he didn't want to receive a PayPal payment. I agreed to this. I contacted eBay and it said to contact PayPal. I contacted PayPal and it said to contact my Bank. I contacted my bank and cancelled my direct debit on PayPal's advice. Now the transaction is sitting there in my PayPal account and going nowhere. eBay doesn't want it and my bank won't pay it. The last advice I received from a human being at PayPal yesterday was that if I cancel the direct debit the PayPal transaction will just disappear. It didn't. And now the seller is calling me saying that he has PayPal contacting him. I tried to deal with this in the PayPal Resolution Centre, but there is no option for this. Please, will anyone advise what the correct course of action to get this transaction cancelled.

Many thanks,

Tim

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tim_butcher 

You may have difficulty re-adding your bank account to use to fund purchases now you have cancelled your direct debit, that is the last thing you can do.

Firstly I would report that seller to Ebay as its against Ebay rules to refuse paypal payments.

If you have paid and its marked as pending then it will time out at 30 days post payment.

However for more info you need to say if its marked as pending / or completed on your paypal account and if pending is there a cancel option although that is very unlikely. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tim_butcher 

You may have difficulty re-adding your bank account to use to fund purchases now you have cancelled your direct debit, that is the last thing you can do.

Firstly I would report that seller to Ebay as its against Ebay rules to refuse paypal payments.

If you have paid and its marked as pending then it will time out at 30 days post payment.

However for more info you need to say if its marked as pending / or completed on your paypal account and if pending is there a cancel option although that is very unlikely. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tim_butcher
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks. The pending transaction does not have a cancel button. So, I now just need to wait 30 days for it to expire - correct? Cancelling the direct debit from my bank was advised by a PayPal operative. I will aim to resolve that after this issue is dealt with. Thanks. Likewise, I will deal with the seller via eBay separately. Thanks for your advice.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tim_butcher 

Yep if pending it will time out 30 days post payment.

The amount of bad advice you get from a customer services agent beggars belief sometimes.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tim_butcher
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks 🙂 Yeah, I don’t blame individuals. They are working in a management system that disempowers them and us. Really appreciate your help.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.