Cancelling A Payment

mercerbell
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently purchased an item on eBay. I have been contacted by eBay informing me that the sellers account was hacked without their knowledge. I was then told to cancel the payment via PayPal. I have tried to do this several of times, following steps on PayPal website and on the Phone, but can't seem to do it. It tells me to go to 'Activity', 'Pending Payments' then click 'Cancel' but I just can't find that option. Am I missing something here? I have tried to email PayPal customer services, but each time i click send, it comes up with an error message. I don't know what to do now 😞 Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mercerbell

Did you read my reply?

If there is NO cancel option (and there often is not) then it times out 30 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mercerbell

You can only cancel a payment if its marked as pending / unclaimed with a cancel option.

Can you say what it says next to the transaction?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mercerbell
Contributor
Contributor

It's under the heading 'Pending' 

Login to Me Too

mercerbell
Contributor
Contributor

any ideas @kernowlass? It's definitely under the Pending transactions section. I just can't seem to find an option to cancel. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mercerbell

Did you read my reply?

If there is NO cancel option (and there often is not) then it times out 30 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mercerbell
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. Thanks. I contacted PayPal a few times and was refunded yesterday.
Login to Me Too

Uername
Contributor
Contributor

UPayPal Community Help Forum Agreement >> View all legal agreements Community Help Forum Agreement Last Update: May 17, 2011 Jump to section: 1. User Content. 2. Content Regulation. 3. Actions We May Take. 4. Submission. 5. Risks of Using the Forum. 6. Reporting Intellectual Property Infringements. This Community Help Forum Agreement ("Agreement") is a contract between you and PayPal and applies to your use of PayPal’s Community Help Forum and your use of the PayPal Advantage Member Forum. The PayPal Advantage Member Forum can only be accessed by PayPal Advantage members. References to "Community Forum" in this Agreement apply to both forums. This Agreement applies to you in addition to the User Agreement and other applicable agreements. All capitalized terms shall have the definitions provided in this Agreement, or if a definition is not provided in this Agreement, the definition in the User Agreement shall apply. You must read, agree with and accept all of the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement in order to use the Community Forum. We may amend this Agreement at any time by posting a revised version on our website. The revised version will be effective at the time we post it. In addition, if the revised version includes a Substantial Change, we will provide you with 30 Days' prior notice of Substantial Change by posting notice on the "Policy Updates" page of our website. 1. User Content. The Community Forum contains information and material posted by users ("User Content") and helps users communicate with others on subject matters relating to their use of PayPal. Any opinions or information made available as part of such User Content are those of the respective users and not of PayPal. Each user's situation is different, so it is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, usefulness and applicability of User Content. PayPal does not endorse and is not responsible for the accuracy, usefulness or applicability of User Content. User Content may be inaccurate, inappropriate or offensive. If the possibility of encountering inaccurate, inappropriate or offensive User Content is not acceptable to you, you should not use the Community Forum. Please report inappropriate or offensive content, policy violations or other problems (other than intellectual property infringement claims, which are covered in section 6) using the "Flag for Moderator" option. Back to top 2. Content Regulation. The following are examples of violations that may result in immediate post removal, sanctions or suspension from the Community Forum: Violating any laws or this Agreement or infringing any third party rights; Posting any material that is false, misleading, defamatory or invasive of another person's right of privacy or right of publicity; Posting any material that is harmful, obscene, harassing, objectionable or otherwise unfit for publication; Imposing an unreasonable load on our infrastructure or otherwise harming PayPal or interfering with the proper working of the Community Forum; Collecting information about others without their consent; Copying, modifying or distributing the Community Forum content or any other person’s content or otherwise infringing on the rights of PayPal or other users (including but not limited to copyrights and trademark rights); Using any material obtained through the Community Forum for commercial purposes. Back to top 3. Actions We May Take. 3.1 Breach of Terms. We may limit or terminate your use of the Community Forum or any of the PayPal Services, if we think in our sole judgment you are creating problems or acting inconsistently with this Agreement. 3.2. Right to Reject Content. PayPal may in its sole discretion reject or remove any User Content if it is abusive, defamatory or offensive or for any other reason we deem appropriate. 3.3 Monitoring. PayPal shall have no obligation to monitor User Content, but may do so at its sole discretion. PayPal is not responsible for any failure or delay in removing any material from the Community Forum. Back to top 4. Submission. 4.1 Content You Post. You represent that any User Content you provide is accurate, is not confidential, and is not protected by any other party’s intellectual property rights or other rights. You agree that you will indemnify PayPal for all claims resulting from any User Content you supply. 4.2 License Grant. You license and grant PayPal the right to duplicate, publish and copy User Content you supply. You represent that you have sufficient rights in User Content you supply to make this license and grant. 4.3 Submission Related to PayPal's Products or Services. In the event that User Content you supply includes suggestions, comments or other feedback with respect to PayPal’s current or future products or Services ("Feedback"), the following will apply: All Feedback shall be given entirely voluntarily; Feedback, even if marked confidential, shall not create any confidentiality obligations on PayPal; PayPal shall be free to use, disclose, reproduce, distribute and otherwise commercialize all Feedback that you provide without any obligation to you or restriction of any kind; and You waive all rights to be compensated or seek compensation for Feedback. Back to top 5. Risks of Using the Forum. PayPal provides the Community Forum "as-is" and does not guarantee uptime or availability. You are advised to not use your full name or give out any personal information about yourself or anybody else via the Community Forum. Under no circumstances will PayPal be liable for any loss or damage caused by use of the Community Forum, reliance on information obtained through the Community Forum or otherwise arising from any Community Forum content. Back to top 6. Reporting Intellectual Property Infringements. We respect the intellectual property of others and require that Community Forum users comply with relevant intellectual property laws. We may, in appropriate circumstances and at our discretion, limit or terminate use of the Community Forum or any of the PayPal Services for users who supply User Content which is subject to intellectual property rights claims. If you believe your intellectual property rights have been infringed, please complete this Infringement Report form (PDF) and fax it to <removed>. Back to top © 1999–2018 Privacy Legal Feedback

Login to Me Too

ANGAR
New Community Member

Hello,

i have send money into two emails for buying some tickets and they deceived us. The money was send through the friend transaction.

Is there any chance i can get this money back?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ANGAR 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.