Can’t see refund from Seller

Maikenf
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all I recently purchased an item through Depop using PayPal. I disputed the payment through PayPal as I didn’t hear from the seller for quite some time when I asked for shipment confirmation. They FINALLY got back to me after the dispute and told me it they sent a refund but I cannot see this in my PayPal account or bank? If the seller refunds from a dispute does this take a while to show up? The reason I’m asking is because I’ve been scammed before saying they refunded when they haven’t
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maikenf 

By what you describe of the dispute status, you have not been refunded yet, as well as not seeing a record of a refund in your PayPal account activity. Seems like the seller notified you to 'say' they refunded or will refund but didn't take action in the dispute to do so to resolve the claim as per:

How do I issue a refund for a PayPal dispute?

How do I issue a refund to resolve a PayPal dispute?

Seller has to 'reply' and take action to refund you in the dispute or going into the original transaction and issue a refund.

"I don't mind if the actual refund back into the bank I paid with takes a few days as this is understandable. It's more so the confirmation of refund which I need."

I was just referencing how long refunds will take in general if one was issued.

If the case has not been refunded be mindful of the 20 days from date of opening dispute to escalate to a claim if seller is not taking action to refund or the case will automatically close.

What is the difference between a dispute and a claim?

How do I escalate a dispute to a claim?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maikenf 

If there is no reference of a refund in your PayPal account activity, refund has not been issued. And if a refund was issued within the dispute, you would see it in the dispute and the dispute would close as resolved a result. 

Issued refunds are returned to original funding source. Arrival times may vary:  

- Bank account payments, 3-5 or 5-7 days, depending on your bank. 

- Cards & PayPal Credit (aka billmelater) about a week, up to 30 days depending on your issuing card. 

- PayPal balance, fairly instant. 

- Split payments between PayPal balance and card/bank, see above.

If there is no evidence of a refund and the dispute didn't close or update at all, see if you can contact the seller within the dispute about the refund, if no response, then escalate for PayPal to step in within 20 days of opening dispute.

Login to Me Too

Maikenf
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for confirming,

I checked the dispute I raised earlier and that also says 'Awaiting Sellers Reply'. Also looking at my transaction list and clicking into it, it only shows my £-XX payment to the seller and does not show any money £+xx (going in). I don't mind if the actual refund back into the bank I paid with takes a few days as this is understandable. It's more so the confirmation of refund which I need.

Is it fair to assume that the seller hasn't actually refunded? I'm pretty sure activity shows up almost immediately on Paypal so I don't want to escalate if it has/is likely to be delayed showing up on my account

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maikenf 

By what you describe of the dispute status, you have not been refunded yet, as well as not seeing a record of a refund in your PayPal account activity. Seems like the seller notified you to 'say' they refunded or will refund but didn't take action in the dispute to do so to resolve the claim as per:

How do I issue a refund for a PayPal dispute?

How do I issue a refund to resolve a PayPal dispute?

Seller has to 'reply' and take action to refund you in the dispute or going into the original transaction and issue a refund.

"I don't mind if the actual refund back into the bank I paid with takes a few days as this is understandable. It's more so the confirmation of refund which I need."

I was just referencing how long refunds will take in general if one was issued.

If the case has not been refunded be mindful of the 20 days from date of opening dispute to escalate to a claim if seller is not taking action to refund or the case will automatically close.

What is the difference between a dispute and a claim?

How do I escalate a dispute to a claim?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.