Can't remove Google Pay automatic payment

galaxyquest
Contributor
Contributor

I am having trouble removing Google Pay from the automatic payments sections. Whenever I click cancel I get an error message that says "We’re sorry, we can’t change your payment option right now. Please try again later." I have been getting the same message for months. I have removed all PayPal information on Google Pay's side. I've also tried removing the card associated with the payment from my PayPal account and I still can't remove the auto payment. How can I remove this from my account?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

razus
New Community Member

I called the customer service center and had to speak with a manager to have this removed from my account.

The customer service agents are not aware of this issue.

The error is only when you try to remove Google. 

Google also has access to all your transactions and payment information.

Your permissions for Google, Inc

You’re letting them:

• Help you check out in fewer steps and help protect your financial information when using PayPal with Google, Inc.

• Share person-to-person payment instructions with PayPal.

• Show the names and last 4 digits of your available payment methods so you can choose how to pay.

Login to Me Too

tmm43
New Community Member

Had the same issue using the PayPal website.  Turns out I was able to cancel Google via the PayPal iOS app 😄

Login to Me Too

Bradley101b
Contributor
Contributor

Android version works too.

Login to Me Too

Hi47
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome, Bradley101b! It worked! I downloaded the app, logged in, and bam! I was able to remove it. THANK YOU so much.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Sadly won't work for me. This really needs more attention. I currently have two choices:

- Call the support and spend a whole 30 minutes to 1 hour to get it removed.

- Close my paypal account and open a new one, which will force quit the agreement between google and me. Downside is that I do not like automatic payments, so I got to remove it everytime I make a payment, which means I would have to close my Paypal account after every payment made.

Login to Me Too

elpechos
New Community Member

I'm getting this as well, pretty annoying. The only reason I keep paypal is it keeps me in control of my money. Not being able to cancel a subscription is a nasty step away from that.

Login to Me Too

earthur
Contributor
Contributor

Just found this problem after receiving an enigmatic email from Paypal about my "Billing Agreement" with Pandora being changed.  I could not find any link to "Billing Agreements" in my profile, but found "Automatic Payments" and then found a bunch of merchants I had made ONE payment to which had for some reason been listed as automatic payments, including Google.  I removed all of them except Pandora, which is my only automatic payment but cannot remove Google.  What is this, some inside deal between Paypal and Google???  PAYPAL PLEASE FIX THIS!!

Login to Me Too

Hi47
Contributor
Contributor

See Bradley101b's answer. It works! Just download the Paypal app to your phone, log in, go to settings, and take that automatic payment off. You can uninstall the app right afterwards if you want to.

Login to Me Too

Ghrool
New Community Member

Requiring to download a phone app, to bypass some potentially intentional obstruction in the web interface seems pretty janky at best.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.