Can't pay with PayPal balance

tutorgrrl
Contributor
Contributor

I'm from Canada but I have US funds on my business PayPal balance and the US online retail company (Everlan) allows PayPal at checkout. However, when I go to select PayPal as my method of payment, PayPal only allows me to select either my bank account or credit card as payments but not my balance. And yes, I have changed my preferred payment to be my balance first for online shopping. Does anyone know why it's not letting me select my balance to pay?

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

impulsively

Update: I checked out anyway using Paypal, with selecting my credit card. The next screen, before confirming the payment, had a disclaimer that said (I took a screenshot): "I want to use (credit card) for all automatic purchases with (company). I understand this lets me check out faster by not having to log in to PayPal to finish my purchase. I understand that if I have a PayPal balance, that balance will be used first to complete my payment, and that if my preferred payment method is unavailable, PayPal will charge my backup payment method. I can change my preferred payment method or cancel this authorization in my Account Profile at PayPal.com."

After checking my PayPal balance, it did indeed show that the payment was taken from it. So now I'm thinking - since this was a subscription-type item (even though I chose it as a one-time item and not recurring), did the PayPal balance not show up as an option because the company wanted to make sure that they would have sufficient funds otherwise?

Login to Me Too

MarcoCCH

I have the same issue so I try different amounts and it works for me, not sure if all persons got the same outcome.

my example, I have $100 in Paypal balance, and you wish to transfer $100

it will only have one payment method which is credit card, and no paid by PayPal balance

so I try to make the amount from $99 to $98, $97, $96, and finally if I put $95, the options "paid by PayPal balance" appear.

so I was wondered if Paypal knows you know have sufficient amount to pay their fees (5% i guess?) so Credit Card will be the only options.

maybe the solution was too late but hope others may find useful.

Login to Me Too

tickrian
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure why this issue is marked as "solved" because the marked solution is arbitrary and a matter of leaving it to chance, in cases I have seen (even with a Business account.)

I have asked about a particular situation and problem here but still haven't received any reply.

Apparently Paypal allows some sites to force using credit cards even where there are ample funds in the balance (This leaks your information to the merchant while giving you a false sense of "security" that you're using Paypal so the merchant only sees what you choose — and that's the problem here which folks are rightly pointing out.)

Since this post generates a lot of traffic, and a lot of folks are having this problem with no clear solution (unless there is one  which we don't know about, of course), might I suggest unmarking it as a solution?

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.