Can't make some payments: 'Please add a debit or credit card to complete your purchase.'

EdgyNameHere
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!  So, to get straight to the point - I'm able to make payments with my card while it is not linked to Paypal, but only some payments when using it from Paypal.  Does anyone know how I might be able to resolve this?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EdgyNameHere 

When logged into PayPal, it is asking for back up payment method. If you already have a card linked, you should be able to select it by clicking change at the top of that screen. You have a choice of adding a card or using what you already have linked. If you select a linked card, read the fine print carefully as it is telling you that you are selecting a back up method and linking your PayPal account to that merchant and for whatever charge you make, you give them permission to put a charge on it. It will also tell you that you can cancel the agreement in your PayPal account at anytime afterward.

If you are paying with the card as PayPal Guest (not logged in) it will just charge the card as if you didn't have a PayPal account, like a direct credit card processing so it wouldn't ask for back up method.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

EdgyNameHere
Contributor
Contributor

The issue isn't adding a card; I'm capable of making certain payments yet not others.  When I attempt to make some, it simply gives me the error message 'Please add a debit or credit card to complete your purchase.'  However, with others, it does work properly.  There's seemingly no reason for it, I'm just incapable of making certain purchases.

@sharpiemarker 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.