Can I change method of payment after transaction is done on ebay?

ziadrida
Contributor
Contributor

I keep forgetting to change the modoth a payment from bank to credit card. I have a transaction that was completed from bank but need to urgently change it to credit card due to other obligations that would result in bounced checked. How to change payment after  I have completed the purchase. 

Others have asked this question back in 2012 and Paypal responded that this feature is coming soon. Where is it?

Also, I need to avoid this problem by making credit card as default payment and bank account as backup. How can this be done?

It is becoming very annoying to use Paypal without the above capabilities. I would rather use credit card directly if these issues will continue to be so. thanks

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ziadrida

You can't change it after you have made payment.

If you have a bank account AND a card linked then the bank account is always the default funding source and can't be changed.

You need to just remember to click on "change" during the payment process and select a card instead.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jonkwilliams
New Community Member
And it really sucks that you can't make a credit card your default method of payment if you have a bank account registered. I thought I had set credit card as default but evidently that's only on a one-transaction basis. You bugged me until I added a bank account. Can I revoke it? What's the benefit to me of having a bank account linked. With credit card I get benefits.
Login to Me Too

Thomachuck
Contributor
Contributor

Can I change my payment method for a purchase on eBay after the payment is made?   I bought an item on eBay without being offered a "change" button when I was checking out-- and inadvertently hit " confirm and pay". I'd prefer to use eBay gift cards to cover the purchase instead of my credit card. The last advice I saw on this site was a year ago, and the answer then appeared to be no. Has anything changed over the last year that would permit this?

Login to Me Too

PrimeRunner
Contributor
Contributor
I made a purchase already and used my bank as the main payment but I don't have enough funds.... I meant to use my papal credit. I need to fix this. Is there anyway I can do this?? Can I call customer service and get it changed somehow??
Login to Me Too

Carmeyeii
New Community Member
Did you figure out a way to solve this?
Login to Me Too

jammedband
Contributor
Contributor
Yep. I'm not seeing a response from PayPal. I just made the same mistake. It's a business expense and I accidentally confirmed the purchase before noticing it defaulted to my personal bank account. Why can't I change in PayPal before the money has been deducted?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jammedband

You can't change a processing payments funding source.

When you pay a seller its never instant, Paypal credit the seller for you and then Paypal wait for the funds to transfer.

The payment is 'processing' from the second you click to pay as your card / bank account is already starting the process of transfer.

Even if a seller 'refunds' the payment has to go to Paypal first and then its either credited to your balance or returned to your card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PrimeRunner
Contributor
Contributor
Nothing yet. No response...... I ended up just deleting my bank account from PayPal. It was a while ago but they never charged me. After that I set my card as the main payment
Login to Me Too

kennytang852

It is unbelievable that the feature wasn't be implemented yet!!!

This cost me higher foreign currency exchange rate MULTIPLE times!!!

The only solution I can come up with is to REMOVE EVERY SINGLE CARD AFTER EACH PURCHASE and re-add only one every time you need it (Browser Autofill / Password Manager is your friend) until Paypal do make some real effort to help us. So that no more surprise can happen on card selection.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.