Can I Get Refund For Automatic Payment?

Milind2000
New Community Member
A few months ago i have subscribed for skillshare free 2 months membership but today i got billed 99$ automatically from my PayPal. It's an error can i get my money back?
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
@Milind2000 Not if you didn't cancel a subscription. Click on the cog icon next to log out and then payments > preapproved payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GordianF
New Community Member
The exact same thing happens to me as well
Login to Me Too

Ammezammez
Contributor
Contributor
This just happened to me today. Did you manage to get a refund?
Login to Me Too

IldaBajric
New Community Member

This happened to me yesterday. Did you get a refund? I'm so angry 

Login to Me Too

Paradox-USA
Contributor
Contributor

Same situation!

Is the refund automatic? Or do I have to contact the seller?

The transaction was sent the same day as it was canceled, GLAD I SAW IT REALLY...

Login to Me Too

WarrenPink
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Milind2000, I hope you're doing well. Automatic or recurring payments have a small chance of getting a refund because PayPal cannot tag it as unauthorized since the seller will surely provide the terms and conditions you agreed during the Point of sale. Subscription or services type of Payment is quite hard to dispute since Merchants can provide documents if we will tag it as Item not received type of claim. I highly suggest that you contact the Merchant to formally request a refund I'm sure the merchant would be glad to have more transactions with you in the future and will always want to satisfy you as their customer. If that will not work, your last resort will be calling your financial institution or card issuer. Hope this helps! 

Login to Me Too

Houby
Contributor
Contributor

I have a follow-up question on the topic. 

I cancelled a service with a supplier on time and there is no dispute on the contract as such. But I forgot to cancel the authorisation to charge my PayPal account and then got charged by the supplier. 

The dispute is now on who is responsible for this charge. How does Automatic Payment work ? Is it comparable to direct debit or is it comparable to a permanent order ?

- I believe that Automatic Payment is equivalent to direct debit - so the supplier has to request the funds and will get paid if there is a automatic payment permission

- The supplier says that since I haven't cancelled the automatic payment option, its my fault that he got the money.

Its now all about the Paypal fees : Since Paypal doesn't credit their fees on refunds, the supplier now wants me to take them on me.

Login to Me Too

johan77
New Community Member

Within SEPA a bank needs to give customers a warning a direct debit is coming. It is ridiculous that Paypal does not do do that. They are a bank in Luxembourg. Automatic payments are direct debits. 

Login to Me Too

Liam04__
New Community Member
Yes I had this same thing happen to me today and I wasn’t even on for their free thing yet that happened.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.