Backup Funding Source

Overdrafted
New Community Member

Hello,

I've been a Paypal and eBay user for around (20) years so I'm pretty experienced with both.  Prior to making a purchase via Paypal's Billing Agreement, I always make sure to specify which credit card I plan to use if my primary source is not sufficient.  For example:

Primary Funding Source
PayPal Balance What's this?
Backup Funding Source
MasterCard Credit Card XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

In my case, I have a total of (6) credit cards on my account, (5) of which had enough funds to cover my two transactions.  Unfortunately or perhaps deliberately, Paypal chose to completely ignore my designated Backup Funding Source as well as the (4) other funding sources with sufficient balance and instead went directly to the one card without enough money.  This mysterious decision to bypass the designated source plus the (4) others caused me to incur two $35 overdrafts today and another (2) pending $35 overdrafts for a grand total of $140.

As a (20) year customer, I'm certainly upset and baffled at the same time.  I've contacted my bank to dispute the (2) incorrectly charged transactions, and I've filed Paypal claims for resolution.  As you might have noticed, there is no specific Paypal complaint regarding them using the wrong payment source.  I also contacted my backup funding source and they've confirmed the following:

1.) I had enough money to cover both transactions.

2.) Paypal never tried in the first place to charge the money, they just willfully ignored my designation.

Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this same issue and how you resolved it.  Of course the billing agreement states that Paypal has the right to use other funding sources if the backup is denied.  In my case this is moot as I explained above, not to mention ignoring the other (4) funding sources.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

JBWilbury
Contributor
Contributor

This has just happened to me, on an automatic payment PayPal ignored by primary payment method and chose a credit card that was not my backup. The payment went through however it was my corporate card which means I now have to pay my company back for the transaction and try and explain the error of why the company card was used for a PayPal transaction!!!

There is no category on the help section to flag this up and I am now quite nervous about what payment sources PayPal will decide to use in the future.

Did you get any answers why it happened to you?

I also cannot find a way to set the default backup source for automatic payments. Does anyone know how to do this?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.