Auto Pay is deceptive and does not work

bbran
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal paid an auto payment using my credit card when I specified my bank account.  This robbed the recipient of the transaction fee portion of the gift.  I called, they said my bank did not accept the autopay.  Not.  I checked with my bank and they had no record of a request from PayPal.   I filed a dispute with PayPal because PayPal has no way to contact them about problems PayPal causes itself.  I called them again, they said they can't help because there is a dispute.  Here's what I got today about the dispute:

We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because your billing dispute doesn't match our qualification for a billing dispute.

I will waste no more time with them.  I removed all other forms of funding besides my bank.  As soon as the auto payment recipient sets up another means of accepting funds, I will drop PayPal altogether.  They perform incompetently and irresponsibly  Why give them business?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bbran 

Were you sending a personal payment and there was some snafu over the payment method? 

When you send money to a friend or family member who has a PayPal account, one of two things may happen: they may accept or decline the money. If they decline to accept the money, the money (including any fees you were charged) will be refunded to:

• The original payment method you used for the transaction, if you used a credit card, debit card, PayPal Credit, a Cash Account, or balance in a business PayPal account as the payment method, or
  • The balance in your business PayPal account or the balance in your Cash Account linked to your personal PayPal account if you used a bank account as the payment method and we cannot refund it to your bank account.
  • If you do not have a Cash Account linked to your personal PayPal account, the money will be waiting for you to claim by using one of the available transfer methods under Receiving Funds, Holding a Balance or Transferring Funds for personal PayPal accounts.

And then you can redo the transaction again but beware of these friends and family terms:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#sending-friends-family

And when you're sending payment, PayPal shows you the fees before you finalize payment, so if you see fees, that means the payment method you chose is wrong or the actual transaction you are trying to make does require a fee.

I sent the USA fees for friends and family but you can click the Flag on this page and click "Fees" at the bottom for the fees applicable for your country.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

bbran
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all this, but none of it applies to the problem.  I am not looking for a solution, only making others aware.  I already know all of this and none of it is the problem.  The problem is only what I mentioned in my original post.

Login to Me Too

imitb
New Community Member

Hi, I just wanted to confirm that Paypal Auto-Pay does NOT work. As a result it has caused my account to miss 2 payments and now I'm going to be taking my card off of Auto-Pay. I have the Paypal Cash Back Mastercard and I am very disappointed this does not work. I've called customer service and talked to Synchrony Bank and there was no solution to my problem. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.