Are sales taxes refunded

mountmercyguy
New Community Member

I recently purchased an item on ebay that never arrived to me.  The seller issued me a refund.  The refund included the price of the item and the shipping I paid, but did not include the $3.97 in sales tax.  I know the tax is charged and deducted on a separate paypal entry, but I would think I should get that money back as well since a sale was not made.  Anyone know.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mountmercyguy 

If you were charged for the item, s/h, and taxes in one grand total, the sales taxes should have been refunded as well. Ask the seller about that. If they give you problem, contact eBay customer service.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mountmercyguy 

If you were charged for the item, s/h, and taxes in one grand total, the sales taxes should have been refunded as well. Ask the seller about that. If they give you problem, contact eBay customer service.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

JDGodMode
New Community Member
I’m having a similar issue right now. Ebay transaction was flagged as suspicious and cancelled by Ebay. Nothing was ever shipped. My ebay account shows that I was given a full refund, including tax. My paypal account shows I am refunded only the item amount, not the tax. My paypal disputes keep coming back as being closed in my favor - but I’m still not getting the full refund for some reason. Had my credit card company remove the transaction but I don’t believe I should’ve needed to do that for a transaction that literally never happened. Seems like a weird glitch in the system.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.