AfterPay transaction on eBay refunded to PayPal?

p3r514n
New Community Member

Hi everyone, 

I am in desperate need of your help.

I purchased an item on eBay using AfterPay and returned it.

I was granted a refund however eBay are telling me that the funds were refunded to PayPal when I don't even have a PayPal account?

They gave me a transaction ID and told me to take it up with PayPal because "apparently", even if you don't use PayPal to pay for items, some of the merchant transactions are processed via PayPal?

What does this even mean? I never used PayPal for the transaction and I don't see what PayPal has anything to do with this?

Am I being taken for a ride? I don't know what to do.

Please help! 😞

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@p3r514n 

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and didn't log into your Paypal account then of course it won't show on that Paypal account because you bought as a guest buyer.
However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

Once refunded it will automatically go back to that bank account or card.
Normally it can take a few days up to a week to go back to a bank account and a bit longer for a card, Paypal say allow 30 days for a card (1 billing cycle) but its rarely that long.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.