Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

wendy24070
New Community Member

We are trying to sell our motor bike and have had a similar email. I have warned the bloke that I am contacting the fraud team. Suprise suprise no more contact. Fed up with these leeches...

Login to Me Too

Fred424
New Community Member

Got the same scam - buying the car as a present for my son and happy to pay the asking price via PayPal. Will have someone pick up the vehicle as soon as possible.  Please provide PayPal account information for payment.  Report these people as soon as you can.

Login to Me Too

Joeavina
New Community Member

Just got this...

LOOKS LIKE a SCAM beware:

Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that it is in good state and that i  will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, but the issue is I'm a Army Officer and I'm not in my own state now I'm now in Army Base McCain Mississippi and  use of mobile phone is not allow at the military  base . But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this  transaction to be done via PayPal....

Login to Me Too

HandyguyDevin
Contributor
Contributor

I've gotten the same email.  I find it interesting that even the typos are the identical ("Moreso, and no spaces between the last three sentences).  

I am also uncertain how this could turn in to a rip off.  But it certainly does not seem legit. 

Here's the body of the email:

Thanks for the prompt response,I'm satisfied with the situation of the Jeep as advertised in the listing,i will like to add you $100 to that final offered for you to keep the Jeep off from all offer,and consider it sold to me alone as i am serious with this,I would have come to take a look at it and make the transaction clear in person but due to the nature of my work i couldn't..and i just got a contract which i am doing presently and The contract is strictly no call, due to the lack of reception in the area am posted,,But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest
payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Moreso i choose paypal for this transaction because i want to avoid the scams going down on the internet this days,and want the both party to be on a safe side because paypal security measure is unbeatable.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me.Note that i'll be responsible for shipping and handling.So i look forward to hear from you soon.
Question
(1) how long have you had it?
(2) I will like to know the reason why you are selling it..
(3) How old is the Jeep?
(4)  the firm Price and your personal email address?
(5) PayPal Email address and full Name
Thanks.

Login to Me Too

gabyk

I´ve just received an offer for my car that is listed on Autotrader and the text is exactly the same!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Login to Me Too

HitKhiladi
Contributor
Contributor

I got a similar one as well, see below email and response:

Am so much interested in the vehicle and can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this Vehicle as a Birthday gift for my brother? Do you have the title for the vehicle and how long have you owned it, as I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm software engineer in Hewlett Packard,(HP) and a contract staff so i cant handle this in person.My only means of payment is PayPal,its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the paypal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount.If you don't have a paypal account,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to www.paypal.com and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? as my brother's birthday is fast approaching....   I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below to proceed with the Payment thanks. I will also need your contact to discus this better on the phone

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your last asking price:
Your Zip code for pickup

Hello Larry,

I brought this car brand new with 52 miles for my Mom which I had cosigned with in 2011. But with her recent retirement, we are not really in need of this vehicle. The car is in very good condition and has had all its regular maintenance check done regularly. Going forward, if you brother maintains this vehicle well, it can run smoothly for years to come since it being a Nissan.

The title on the vehicle is clean, only in my name. I'm willing to flex on the price at no lower than $X,XXX pending we make this transaction quick and painless.

However my only issue is with the payment type you have offered. Unfortunately, PayPal does not offer/cover Seller/Buyer Protection for any in person transactions. Personally, with no offense to you, I'm only willing to take cash on pickup and the vehicle sold as is. If you can arrange the payment with the party picking up the vehicle, we can work this deal out.

In addition, I highly recommend either you or your brother see and test drive the vehicle before purchase, since it being a costly and valuable transaction for you.

Please let me know if you want to move forward as per the conditions mentioned above. My direct contact is XXX-XXX-XXX.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

XXXX

Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I received from an "alleged buyer" of a motorhome I had listed on RVtrader for a large amount of money. I thought it was a scam, especially since he called within 2 hours of me posting the ad online. He said he is a "Marine Engineer" which is very similar to other posts:

Thanks for getting back to me regarding my text...I hope it is in good condition? and there wont be any cause of disappointment if i purchase it from you? I want to buy it for my dad and I am ready to pay the asking price. I'm a Marine Engineer and am currently on sea right now which is strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe and secure to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible. Less I forgot, I have a Mover that will come for the pick up once payment is cleared in your PayPal account and they will be handling the everything for me, as I look forward to hearing from you with your PayPal information as requested below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Address for pick up:

Many Thanks

Login to Me Too

luckyrose27

its a scam my dear, even if/when they come for your vehicle and have 'paid' for it, what they do is ask their bank for a charge-back on your paypal to get money back! alot of times accounts are fraud. be safe not sorry .. I wired some one $1500. for a car last year, that I was 'sure' was the real deal,. yea right no money, no car!

Login to Me Too

LChanelle
Contributor
Contributor
Email i received selling my car. Scam alert. Ok just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out.,am satisfy with your asking price My mode of payment would be in paypal,I will be adding the PayPal surcharge to the total amount i will be paying you. for the convenience of both parties i have organized with a shipping company to have this pickup from you as soon as payment is confirm in your account. I really appreciate your honesty, that is what i really need most as I wont be able to come for inspection as am at work but i rely on the details you gave me about the vehicle? I also checked the pics you posted on site thoroughly, i really like it very much, just what i wanted for my Father... i look forward to hear from you with the information below. Your PayPal e-Mail Address : Full name: Firm Price: Postal code for pickup: Phone Number
Login to Me Too

MatthewS192
This is a scam! I literally just received the same email. Almost word for word. This is the end email received:

I'm wanting to get the car as a birthday gift for my dad, It's priced favorably compared to others so I want you to consider it sold to me because I am ready to offer you the asking price but not cash in person because I'm serving in the US Marine cop and currently serving at FOB Geronimo in Afghanistan and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto www.paypal.com/ and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me, I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be able to see this in person. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.