Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

BostonPilot
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, I don't know if he said Hansom, as in your post, or Hanscom (which is the correct name), either way, Hanscom is now known as KBFD, it is now a joint use airport with the only unit being assigned there is the 66th Air Base Group, which is a non flying unit, dealing with materiels.

Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

STAY AWAY FROM THAT DEAL!!!!!! It is a scam. That crook will never buy your car or come with cash. Just tell them it's sold and not to contact you anymore. The more info you give: phone number, name, etc will cause you to be hacked on your accounts. 

Login to Me Too

Kellie88
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a message I received today after posting my vehicle on AutoTrader.com First I got a text message from Ken <removed> at phone number <removed> and email address <removed> Thank you for this forum!! I contacted the fraud department at FraudWatch at AutoTrader.com Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as I’m ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I’m software engineer in Hewlett Packard,(HP) and a contract staff so i cant handle this in person.My only means of payment is PayPal,its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the paypal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount.If you don’t have a paypal account,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to their web and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? as the day is fast approaching. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below. Your PayPal e-Mail Address : Your last asking price: Your Zip code for pickup: Your Cell phone

Login to Me Too

Marriott2

I just put my ad up on AutoTrader last night and I'm now dealing with this joker Ken Saint. I've dealt with other scams on Craigslist and eBay before with the same "Oh I can't pick this up myself" with some lame excuse, so I did a quick search and pulled up your message. He first texted my phone asking for more pictures of the engine to his gmail account of "kensaint". Then he sent back a message which is the same as yours. Appreciate you posting this so I could confirm the scam quickly.

Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

Stay away from anyone offering to use Paypal to buy a car and sending someone else to pick it up. It's probably a scam. Tell them cash only with a valid ID card in person with the person buying the car. No middle men, no pickup agents, etc. Stay away!

Login to Me Too

curleycurley
Contributor
Contributor

delilah211
New Community Member
I decided that would check to see if there was scams about selling cars and I read your post and that's exactly what's happening to me. something in my gut told something isn't right. I thought was being paranoid. I'm going no further with this. but I glad I found your post so I know what to do. thanks. Good luck to you
Login to Me Too

Dops

TODAY: text from autotrader's user to my cellphone: ...car still available? My answer via email: Yes

After next email  from Felicia <removed> <removed>:

"I appreciate your prompt response, I am buying It ASAP for my cousin residing in Ontario as a surprise. I wont be available by myself for inspection due to the nature of my work and present location. I will like you to email me with some close up shots of it and will arrange for it to be picked up by a pick up agent who will be coming for the inspection and pick up at your place once the payment clears, I will also be paying you through Paypal which i believe is safe and secured for both of us and I will also be responsible for the charges. All I need from you now is to get back to me with your Paypal email and name or send me Paypal invoice so that I can send your payment ASAP. What is your final asking price?

Just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed and If you need to reach me, send me an email as i Squeeze time every four-hours to check correspondence and respond at the same time."

My email.......

Next email: "
Okay. I would have love to talk to you on phone and explain more better but Due to the nature of my job,making phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i took permission from our IT Admin to check this advert and sent you Text regarding this and instructing you to text so I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. I am an honorable person and you will receive your full money cash in hand before my mover comes for pick up at your place. And if you dont have a paypal account, It's pretty easy to set up a PayPal account at paypal. it's just a few minutes away from signing up. it's safe and secure for both Parties. You are on a secured transaction with paypal. As soon as you open an account, get back to me with the name and email that you linked with your paypal account and I will have your money wired asap. I hope to read from you asap

Regards"

My email: "What are the true reasons that you want to transfer money through paypal? You have the money abroad in Canada and the CRA does not know about this money?
Are you outside of Canada as well? ...... "

Answer: "I am presently offshore in the Gurf of Mexico for Transocean on a new Semi Submersible as a Storekeeper. We work 14 on, 14 off. so making or receiving phone calls are prohibited on duty. Due to the nature of my job and having being a paypal customer for the past 18 months with no charge back, I feel more comfortable sending my money via PayPal due to their various security measures at ensuring safe and secure transaction between the seller and the buyer. You will have your money cash in hand before by shipper comes for pick up at your place. Get back to me if you change your mind"

Login to Me Too

Dops

Today again from Kelvin <removed> :

1) Thanks for your swift response, am interested in purchasing the Vehicle, but will like to know more about it before i proceed with the item including the service history, is the any mechanical issue with the item that you need to let me know. let me know the final price you wanna let it go for..Thanks

2) Am okay with the price and the condition as posted on AD. I am ready to make instant purchase. My mode of payment would be in paypal and i will arrange for a pick up agent as soon as you get thepayment, because that is the only convenient means for me and due to my work frame i can not be able to get there and i promise everything will go smoothly.I really wish to be there to check out the item but i don't have chance cause am very busy Person am Marine Engineer Concerning the pick up, i will arrange for it after you receive the payment and it clears... Pls get back to me with below info so that i can proceed with the payment immediately if you are selling to me. 1.Full name on the acct  and the email 2. Full prefer pick up address

Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, just another scam attempt by the "Marine Engineer." Don't even respond to him, just delete.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.