Add a card when purchasing from ebay

riaturner
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone else having issues paying with PayPal on Ebay?  I made a purchase on Ebay without issue on 8/31/2019 and paid with my paypal account.  Now when I log into Ebay and try to purchase something if I click buy now or add to cart I check paypal radio button and I get the login screen for paypal and I can log in without issue but instead of directing me to the page it usually does to complete the purchase and pay it takes me to an add a card to your account page and I cannot get any further.

I tried to talk to PP about it and they just keep telling me it could be my card which I have two valid cards on my account and I might need to verify my email which shows already verified. My account is linked to paypal and I have tried different web browsers but nothing works.

Any ideas how to fix this PayPal only sends you automated replies when you ask for help?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

applecharlie
Contributor
Contributor

Have you had any joy resolving this?

My mother is currently having this issue too and, being the tech-savvy one in the family, she wanted me to fix it. 

At first, I thought it was because her card was not confirmed and as she shops regularly with eBay, she'd fallen foul of the spending limits or some security check. So, we got the card confirmed. We also added a different card to her account to see if this would fix it.  

I've been searching on google and found many threads about this issue across several forums (Paypal, eBay, Reddit) - some of them going back years. A regular comment is that Paypal isn't very helpful in sorting this. I've been working my way through their suggestions but nothing has solved the issue. We've tried things like clear browsing data, using a different device etc. 

My latest idea was to unlink her Paypal and eBay completely so that when she goes to checkout, there are no pre-saved details. Once done, I'd link it all up again in hopes that whatever broke, it would fix. Unfortunately, no joy.  

This has been going on for over a week now and I'm pretty much out of ideas. 

Login to Me Too

riaturner
Contributor
Contributor

No luck yet, but I do know paypal works on other sites it is just eBay and it still has not been resolved.

Everyone seems to think it is the card but it's not I just used it on another site yesterday and it worked

without any issues at all.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Hi @applecharlie & @riaturner

Sorry to hear that you're having an issue completing a purchase with a card on the account. It sounds like this is related to our security system rejecting the payment if we're asking you to add a different payment method at checkout. When a user attempts to make a purchase, our system will review the transaction and deny any payment methods that are deemed risky. 

For this, we usually tell you to try the payment at a later time. If this doesn't fix it, our team is sometimes able to help with making a purchase if our security system allows. I would recommend reaching out to our team through the 'Contact' link on our webpage to call them. 

Regards, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

applecharlie
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Drew, thank you for replying. I'm assuming from the name that you are Paypal staff in which case you are the first to respond to either my or my mother's attempts to resolve this. 

My mother decided to log a complaint via the online email us option because she was not getting any help. So far, nobody has responded to her. 

With the screen in question, my mother attempted to use another card when prompted to add a card and it wouldn't accept it. It was just stuck on the same screen. No error, no hint of an issue just frozen on the same screen. Do you know if the card would need to be with a different bank? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Randy

@applecharlie,

I recommend contacting our customer service teams for further assistance if you're still seeing this issue on your end.  You can click 'Contact Us' at the bottom of any of our pages to get a phone number to reach us at, or you can contact us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/askpaypal) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PayPal). We would be happy to take a look at what options might be available to you.

- Randy

Login to Me Too

applecharlie
Contributor
Contributor

@riaturner, I'm not sure if you are still having this issue but I believe I just figured out what was wrong on our side as my mother has successfully made a purchase on eBay using her Paypal so I'm leaving this here for you and anyone else who is pulling their hair out with this.

In summary, the advice we received from Paypal when they looked into this for us was don't use Paypal there is a technical fault, use the eBay card option until its fixed. So, we tried and it spat out my mother's card. A card that works everywhere and has never caused her any bother. 

I was at a lost when I noticed that although the seller was in the UK, the delivery options did not include UK. It said Europe which you would assume would cover the UK but looking through other listings, UK is its own option. 

I got my mother to find something else she wanted to buy that says UK specifically as a shipping option and it flew through like eBay and Paypal couldn't wait to spend her money. We did two orders, one with Paypal and one with the eBay card option. Then, we went back to the problem listing and tried again and yes, it's still asking her to add a card. 

As an aside, looking more closely at the problem listing, I've worked out that the seller lives pretty close to us to the point, I could have driven there, bought the item with cash and delivered it to my mother in less than an hour and a half. It's pretty laughable when you think about it. 

Login to Me Too

Sergio10099
Contributor
Contributor
Try to enable one touch log in in paypal,log in ,go to where it says securities,find one touch log in and enable it,I didnt get the add a card after I did,if it happens again try unlinking ur card n linking back again n dont forget to enable one touch log in
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.