Accidentally claimed a payment as unauthorized because I thought it was fraudulent

lightning111
Contributor
Contributor

So I recently put in a claim against a payment to have it investigated as unauthorized, thinking that it was fraudulent because I hadn't bought anything that day. About 30 minutes later I remembered a pre-order I had made a while back and realized that it what that payment was. I just hadn't recognized it because the seller had used a 3rd party website to collect payment. I tried to cancel the investigation as soon as I realized it wasn't unauthorized, but the PayPal website kept saying there was an error every time I attempted it. I decided to wait a while before trying again. A few hours later I get an email from PayPal saying that they determined the payment to not be unauthorized (of course), and that they've "canceled this agreement ... to prevent other unwanted transactions." My question is: what does "canceling an agreement" mean? Does this mean that Paypal somehow informed the seller that I no longer want my order? Does this mean they've withdrawn the payment that the seller received for the order, so I won't get my purchase? No refunds were given from this dispute so I assume the seller still has their money. I just want to know whether or not "canceling an agreement" equates to "canceling an order."

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lightning111 

No, the payment/order still goes through since PayPal found it was not unauthorized because it indeed was authorized. It just cancels the billing agreement that is set up so any future automatic payments won't go through for your safety. You can reauthorize another billing agreement when you attempt another purchase with the merchant.

Go to Account Settings (wheel icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

And you can see that the profile for that particular merchant or third party website is marked "Inactive" or "Canceled" on the list of canceled billing agreements.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lightning111 

No, the payment/order still goes through since PayPal found it was not unauthorized because it indeed was authorized. It just cancels the billing agreement that is set up so any future automatic payments won't go through for your safety. You can reauthorize another billing agreement when you attempt another purchase with the merchant.

Go to Account Settings (wheel icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

And you can see that the profile for that particular merchant or third party website is marked "Inactive" or "Canceled" on the list of canceled billing agreements.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.