Does PayPal Express support a "vaulted" token for multiple/irregular future purchases?

kevin-test
New Community Member

I'm working on an integration with a subscription type service where the subscription service is irregular in period and perhaps more critically the actual shipments can vary fairly widely dependent shipment-to-shipment. For example, one month there might be a shipment of $79 + tax, and the next month it could be $130 or $40, etc. 

Our system is currently running with a different payment processor / gateway setup using traditional "vaulted" / on-file credit cards saved via a secure gateway. We have a token that allows us to create additional charges on the card on file securely (without exposing our system to the card itself). This is fairly typical with CC gateways, and I believe things like Braintree support this same behavior.

BUT, what I'd like to know is if this type of behavior can be accomplished using PayPal express + backend REST API integrations. It seems like the "key" might be the "intent", but I see `sale`, `order`, `authorize`, and in general from what I can tell these are all really geared towards single transactions. 

I know that _in general_ PayPal's APIs support all sorts of things, probably including what I'm looking for, but it's not clear to me if there is a path from PayPal Express to these arbitrary one-off type payments of variable $ value, or if I need to use a different PayPal integration approach to support this requirement.

Thank you very much for your time reading and any advice!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.