how long does it take for payment to clear?

spook-1690
New Community Member

Hi i'm new to all of this i have just recently sold an item on ebay for the first time and the payment is in my paypal but it says pending and because i'm a new seller on ebay it can take 21 days what i want to know is does it really take 21 days?

Login to Me Too
32 REPLIES 32

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

1. Feedback does not count for payment release.

2. You can't so if its the new seller hold you would have to wait 21 days for the funds as you can't meet the criteria for payment release.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

FA1
New Community Member
Not happy with the 21 day holding sellers money policy. It's good that there's something to protect the buyer but where's the seller protection? You are making your money in the form of fees from the sellers and the only one you are protecting is the buyer? This policy gives the unhonest buyers a free reign to buy things receive the goods and take their money back. It has happened to my husband where he sold something and the buyer took their money back and sent the item back broken and had taken parts out of it. Also how am I supposed to ship the item without receiving the postage money the seller has paid? How is it fair that I should be out of pocket all to protect the buyer and just hope the buyer is honest? I'm not even a new seller and I have 100% positive feedback and looks like I still have to wait the 21 days? Not happy at all. Last time I will ever use EBay or Paypal! Oh and thanks for already taking your fees out of the transaction without it even being cleared yet.
Login to Me Too

buyfromtazz
New Community Member

hi both your above mentioned things have been actioned.

positive feedback and a tracking number.

the funds have still not cleared.

is there something i can do to speed up this process?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

That response was back in 2012 and things have changed >>>

Feedback no longer counts for payment release.

Info in the link but make sure you scroll right to the bottom of the page or you will miss the release criteria times.

http://sellerupdate.ebay.co.uk/autumn2013/changes-payment-holds

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CoulYou
Contributor
Contributor

What if the buyer says that the item received is not as discribed and the truth is the seller did really send the good item, can the buyer scam a new seller on ebay?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Well they can't really scam them as the buyer has to return the item back to the seller at their own expense before a refund is made.

But selling is always a risk, you just have to read up on seller protection and make sure you set your buyer requirements to reduce the risk as much as possible.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ayososanya
Contributor
Contributor

Its happening to me atm too. I sold a phone on ebay and the buyer has given me positve feedback and i also left tracking info on ebay. its been a week and its still pending. Im not sure if i had to leave the tracking info on paypal too or not 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sophie

Hi ayososanya,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with getting the payment released. We'd definitely advise adding the tracking number on PayPal, and contacting Customer Support to have the release of the payment expedited.

Here’s how to add your tracking information to the transaction:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account. 
  2. Click ‘History’ near the top of the page. 
  3. Find the relevant transaction. 
  4. Click ‘Details.’ 
  5. Click ‘Add Tracking Info’ under ‘Postage’ near the bottom of the page. 
  6. Complete the required information on the ‘Enter Tracking Information and Order Status’ page.
  7. Click ‘Save.’

You can find our contact details by clicking on 'Contact Us' at the bottom of any page when logged in. Alternatively, you can contact us via Facebook (www.facebook.com/PayPalUK) or Twitter (@AskPayPal) for assistance.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Sophie

Login to Me Too

jimmy180

I am also having the same problem, I sold a phone end of August, I added tracking information to paypal and also ebay, buyer received item and left positive feedback and funds are still pending, it's my sons birthday in a couple of days and I was going to treat him a little bit but looks unlikely now Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

rick1962uk
New Community Member

i realy hate this i have been selling for years and have been riped of by ebay and paypal  so its now my goldern ruel to never post untill payment has been received in full so if its on hold on paypal parts will not be released you try to go to tesco and buy a weeks food and tell them payment will be sent when your happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.