amazon refund??

Camhead32
Contributor
Contributor

Before Easter i made an order on Amazon, but then realized it wouldn't get here in time, so i cancelled it the day after. Usually i receive refunds immediately when i use paypal balance but this one doesn't seem to wanna come back to me lol. i gave it a few days, then contacted Amazon. They stated it was cancelled on April 8th, and id have the funds back in 3-5 days. today's day 5. Still nothing. Contact Paypal, they say it doesn't show as cancelled and if merchant doesn't claim or refund it'll "fall off" in 30 days... okay but if its refunded from merchant, it wouldn't need to fall off. They gave money back... So that wouldn't apply here. I have the refund transaction number from Amazon. should i contact paypal, again(which i do not care to do really) or wait at least 7 days from the date the refund was completed thru Amazon? I read 2 other posts on here with identical questions. Im just not certain when the 7 days start, from time the order was successfully cancelled or date they said the refund was completed? Its a 5 day gap.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Mejoare
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Camhead32 ,

Thank you for reaching out to us and we understand that it is quite confusing. 

There would be times that the merchant will cancel the order on the system but will not update through their Paypal account that it was canceled. They would need to have it updated through their Paypal system. If it does not show refunded on the transaction itself from your Activity, it would mean that they have not done it on their Paypal system yet. 

Once they have done this, since it was taken out from your Paypal balance it should be posted immediately if it is already showing as Refunded from your Activity, meaning they have already issued the refund. We will be unable to refund it on our end since they have the payment. It needs to be initiated from their side. They would need to inform their team who manages their Paypal account. However, if it still shows as Pending from your Activity, they would need to do the same by canceling the authorization from their Paypal system. 

Hope this helps! Stay safe.

Login to Me Too

Camhead32
Contributor
Contributor
But they dont take the money until the items are shipped. So amazon never had the money to refund it. PayPal took the funds as an authorization hold, until Amazon takes it. I cancelled the order 2 weeks before it was due to ship. So your saying I need to contact Amazon again, and tell them they need whoever handles their PayPal system, to cancel the authorization for this order there? Even tho I have a cancellation transaction number from them showing they refunded it on there end?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.