Primary / Secondary funding

paulckruger
Contributor
Contributor

If primary funding source is exhausted on a purchase does PayPal then take only the difference from bank?

I have a prepaid debit card from a promotional offer. I am trying to buy something in eBay that is $295 but then eBay added taxes which took total over the balance resulting in a decline.

I added that debit card here. If I use that as primary, make a purchase that is $20 over the $300 balance will PayPal take the first 300 from debit card then the last 20 from bank? Is there a way to be SURE the whole purchase is not taken from my bank?  That would kill me.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@paulckruger 

If you use prepaid card as primary, it has to have enough to cover entire purchase or it will decline.

You can only do split payment with PayPal balance (primary) and a credit card (secondary) for the difference.

Note: It’s not allowed to extract funds off a prepaid (visa/mc/Amex/discover) card to put into your PayPal balance within PayPal. It violates agreement with the prepaid card and PayPal user agreement. 

TIP: for when you have store branded gift cards

How do I exchange a gift card for PayPal balance?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.