Pending transaction - no order was made

jus10mat

Paypal is withholding funds for a purchase that did not go through because of issues on the department stores website.  Can not file it as a resolution, no customer service via the phone or messages. Called the retailer. They can't cancel a nonexistent order.   I have never had a problem with paypal in the past. Zero customer service.  The department store was willing to help, but again they can't cancel something that didn't exist. They have not order number. My bank will be looking into charge as well. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

jjapaguri
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @jus10mat 

I hope you are doing well! 

From what you are saying this seems to be a pending authorization or a pending order.

Login to Me Too

norahcrv
Contributor
Contributor

I have used PayPal here in the US for years & have always felt that it was a safe & secure Payment Method for a variety of transactions until now!!

I have been trying to get this resolved all week!! 

A little background:

08/11/20 - I attempted to place an online order with Office Depot, Inc., went to PayPal to complete the payment portion of it, but when I went back to OfficeDepot.com, I was informed that they could not fulfill my order due to lack of stock.

08/11/20 - When I went back to OfficeDepot.com, it indicated that there was stock available now, so I again attempted to place the order, only to meet with the same result.

08/12/20 - When I reviewed my PayPal account the next morning, it showed that there were two transactions with Office Depot, Inc. pending in the amount of $19.00 each.  I tried to reverse them as they were not for VALID orders completed with Office Depot, Inc., but was told that nothing could be done as they were still "PENDING", but that they would "automatically be reversed & drop off my account shortly, but definitely within 30 Days.

I continued to check my PayPal account, but they still showed as "Pending", but since PayPal said that it could take "up to" 30 days for the reversal, I didn't worry about it.

09/14/20 - Since it had now been over 30 days, I logged back into my PayPal account, fully expecting to see the charges reversed & my PayPal account balance restored . . . NOPE, the two $ 19.00 (total $38.00) charges were STILL showing as "Pending". 

SInce that time, I have spent over two hours on the phone with Office Depot (to verify that I have no "open" orders in their system), and exchanged over 5 pages of "chat" with various PayPal representatives trying to get this resolved.  While each one seems to understand that this is a "concern" to me, they do not seem to grasp that there were a total of 3 orders placed with Office Depot, Inc., of which only 1 was fulfilled.  Nor do they understand that according to Office Depot, Inc., since THEY (OD) have not received the payments, nor do they have outstanding orders in their system, they cannot or will not reverse the charges, as they have not received the funds. 

According to all I have read in the terms of my agreement with PayPal, these two "PENDING" charges for $ 19.00 each, should have been reversed within 30 days of 08/11/20 & the $ 38.00 restored to my account.

To say that I am frustrated beyond my wit's end, would be a gross UNDERSTATEMENT!! 

Login to Me Too

Rebeccagrace
Contributor
Contributor
Just had similar issue. Tried to make a purchase through walgreens. Instantly charged on paypal but walgreens screen said something went wrong. Not in my walgreens account. No confirmation email or text but def charged. Still pending so hopefully will go away within 30 days. Not holding my breathe though.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.