Paypal helps scammer to grow.

navidkh
New Community Member

Hi,

On 18th of April i saw an advertisement for a scooter on instagram. the price was 10 USD + 10 USD for shipment. I put the order and to gather with that 20 USD i paid 10 more for the custom and import. But what i received is a sport rope. I opened a case against the seller and they told me this is what i ordered but as you can see in the attached picture i ordered a scooter. Their website was closed for a while and now they removed my order from their website. I asked paypal to get involve but they are telling me to send back the item to get a full refund and i will be responsible for the shipment. So i need to pay another 10 USD in order to get back my 10 USD as refund. This is an clear scamming and Paypal is helping them. 10 USD is not a lot so people will not follow it up but Paypal should stop supporting them.Scooter.PNG

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@navidkh 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@navidkh 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jrcrlynch
Contributor
Contributor

Bottom line:  So it is your fault that the scammer is on Paypal.  A lawyer, which i am not, might conclude they are aiding and abetting fraud.

Login to Me Too

Nsmart
New Community Member
Me too. PayPal has to be getting money from the scammers. Let’s make this public. I ordered a treadmill and got a cheap broken watch. PayPal ignored my disputed transaction over and over again. They have to be in the scam.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.