Is this a Paypal Scam on Gumtree

meeky74
Contributor
Contributor

Hi
Selling my bike for £600 and have received the below email it sounds a bit fishy to me! what should I respond to sound it out?

Thanks,

Alex

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.
I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

adlud
New Community Member

looks like they are going by the name of Tracy <removed> now! Very happy I checked this as they did not seem happy to be sent an invoice for the amount!

Login to Me Too

callumc
New Community Member
I'm advertising a car on Gumtyree and got the same meassage from a Curtis Mitchell, or Mitchell Curtis. First off received a text message asking me to email and then got the following, which is the same as everyone else in this forum.  Glad I checked!! Interesting that the same scam message has been around (almost verbatim) since last year...........

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Login to Me Too

philm01234
New Community Member

I've just received the same email from Christopher <removed> <removed>.

Login to Me Too

Cakemaker5
New Community Member

Just received exactly the same message. First a text asking me to email, then an email with exactly same info as everyone else has reported, in response to my car advert on gumtree. My messages came from rosesunshine01 and gave name as Rose <removed>.

was already suspicious glad I then checked on here, long running scam it seems.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.